Garmin Edge 820 or 520?

CASSIE1975

I will check later for you but I think i saw something that straps around your rear hub and then something for the crank.

When I get home I will have a look unless someone answers before then.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Thanks.  In that case I am leaning more more to the 520.  I can get it on Amazon for 300€, 120€ cheaper than the 820.  And as I said, the touch screen could be an issue if you take into consideration that I will be cycling with gloves for about 4 to 5 months in the year at least.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ja I am sure it will sync BUT I think you can only save one sensor so when you then change bikes you might have to re sync every time which could become a schlep.

So I am also keen to see if it works because i still got the sensors from my 500 and the new stuff from my 520.

I am hoping that "Indoor" settings would link the Speed and Cadence from the 500 then I can use them on the IDT bike and add the new 520 sensors to the MTB (for outdoor) "Ride / Train"...holding tumbs  :eek:

Thanks.  In that case I am leaning more more to the 520.  I can get it on Amazon for 300€, 120€ cheaper than the 820.  And as I said, the touch screen could be an issue if you take into consideration that I will be cycling with gloves for about 4 to 5 months in the year at least.

At the moment Autostyle has the 820 bundle for R6999 (+/- R1000-1200 more than the 520 bundle, depending on where you buy the 520). 

But I did a replacement exchange at NavWorld and only cost R1850 to upgrade to the 520 (from the 500), so I am happy with that and looking forward to get on the bike and test the 520...I have ONLY read very good reviews on the 520.

The 820 seems to be "hit and miss"...can also depend on the user I guess, but it sounds like an awesome unit...maybe they should change it to a button unit (like the 520) and they might not have so many issues and have more sales...

Thanks. In that case I am leaning more more to the 520. I can get it on Amazon for 300€, 120€ cheaper than the 820. And as I said, the touch screen could be an issue if you take into consideration that I will be cycling with gloves for about 4 to 5 months in the year at least.

Must also add that the 520 can't have as many maps as the 820. 520 has limited onboard memory and 820 has sd card.

Maybe go onto DC rainmakers website and see what he has to say. Its a very cool site.

So just for info, RSA and Mauritius worked out to be pretty much the limit for the 520 from what I understood.

After the latest software update (v10), it now has the Incident Detection function (first introduced on the 820), and let me tell you, it works!

Went riding this weekend and at a stop, I leaned my bike precariously against a tree, but it toppled over to its side. I didn't hear it at first, but then my phone started making one heck of a racket, it sounded like a siren! I got the fright of my life! I figured out that it was the Incident Detection that kicked in and I prompting silenced it. 

So if you have a tumble, it will know. Make sure your emergency contact is loaded. 

Are you saying the 520 (software v10) now has impact detection???

So just hook up to Garmin Connect and hit sync / download software and it works??

PS - will set up emergency contact once I turn on the unit, thanx.

At the moment Autostyle has the 820 bundle for R6999 (+/- R1000-1200 more than the 520 bundle, depending on where you buy the 520).

But I did a replacement exchange at NavWorld and only cost R1850 to upgrade to the 520 (from the 500), so I am happy with that and looking forward to get on the bike and test the 520...I have ONLY read very good reviews on the 520.

The 820 seems to be "hit and miss"...can also depend on the user I guess, but it sounds like an awesome unit...maybe they should change it to a button unit (like the 520) and they might not have so many issues and have more sales...

Did that exact same exchange about a month ago. You won't be disappointed.

I have 2 bikes, with dedicated sensors on each, yet the 520 cannot assign bikes to these sensors. So in Strava/GC you need to chose the correct bike. Choosing the correct default bike (GC) makes it easier. 

Do you just get on the bike, clip on the 520 and it picks up the correct speed / cadence sensor on that bike (closest sensors to the unit)? Or do you have to sync the sensors before you ride each time?

Did that exact same exchange about a month ago. You won't be disappointed.

I read a few guy's comments on the replacements (first few pages of this Fred) and I listened very closely and did the same  :thumbup:  now I need to get training...LOL.

So just hook up to Garmin Connect and hit sync / download software and it works??

Yes it does because when I got my 520 not long ago it was an older version and then I loaded V10(via connect on my pc) and then while riding the one day with livetrack running a message popped up on my phone saying I must load emergency contacts. But then I cleared the message and haven't looked how to do it yet.

Also what's cool is my wife phoned me while riding the other day and her name came up on the screen on my gps. So now if the phone rings and you got BT on you can see if it's worth answering or not.

Do you just get on the bike, clip on the 520 and it picks up the correct speed / cadence sensor on that bike (closest sensors to the unit)? Or do you have to sync the sensors before you ride each time?

The sensor that comes in the box is already synced.

IIRC there IS a menu item for that on the 520 now.

The sensor that comes in the box is already synced.

Thanx, but I am referring to it as follows:

Bike 1 / sensor set 1 - sensors synced and ready to ride with Edge 520.

Bike 2 / sensor set 2 - get on and ride with the same Edge 520 (does it auto sync to sensors on bike 2?)?

Ride bike 1 again, does it sync back to the sensors on bike 1?

IIRC there IS a menu item for that on the 520 now.

Thanx because that is one of the features that I really wanted...was only on the 820 before.

Must also add that the 520 can't have as many maps as the 820. 520 has limited onboard memory and 820 has sd card.

Maybe go onto DC rainmakers website and see what he has to say. Its a very cool site.

So just for info, RSA and Mauritius worked out to be pretty much the limit for the 520 from what I understood.

Well I checked that the units sold here comes with the whole of Europe loaded onto it.  So I only maybe need SA but that would not be a deal breaker.  Lets face it.  The times when I come and visit I will most propably be spending time with the family and likely will not get to ride much. If I do, I can survive without the unit if I have to.

Well I checked that the units sold here comes with the whole of Europe loaded onto it. So I only maybe need SA but that would not be a deal breaker. Lets face it. The times when I come and visit I will most propably be spending time with the family and likely will not get to ride much. If I do, I can survive without the unit if I have to.

Here are the speed cadence sensors that came with my 520. There is also a bag with a variety of o-rings to secure the crank sensor. The other one goes around the rear hub.

post-58906-14836829072532.jpgpost-58906-14836829182319.jpg

Archived