Zwift has arrived on iOS

So Zwift has finally arrived to the iOS platform...... Who's download it and given it a go ??

As iOS does not naturally receive ANT+ data at this point it seems they (Zwift) only seem to support BLE 4.0 (Bluetooth Low Energy).

What also is pretty cool is that if one has an active subscription on their PC / Mac this subscription is linked to the user profile so can easily be activated on iOS without any additional costs. 

First ride with the zwift app, had loads of fun. Surprisingly.

This will make being trainer bound this December more bearable.

If you have a power trainer, I recommend this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done their 2 week trial but to be honest I don't find their gradients realistic and there does not seem to be a training diary like with cycleops.

My cycleops subscription comes to and in 2 weeks and I am torn between renewing it or going with trainer road

I have done their 2 week trial but to be honest I don't find their gradients realistic and there does not seem to be a training diary like with cycleops.

My cycleops subscription comes to and in 2 weeks and I am torn between renewing it or going with trainer road

I cant comment on gradients, as I have not ridden in the actual places.

For the real thing, there is no comparison to the real thing.

As far as sitting in front of a screen for hours on end, this is by far the most enjoyable eay to do it.

Training seems to be available as a generic plan, but for real world gains it ideally should be personalized.

Keen to try one of the races soon just for schitz and gigglez

Further update: I have had two partial uploads of my rides, out of the hour session only 50 minutes was uploaded to their server.

Apparently an activity is synchronized every 10 minutes, but if you lose connection during this time, that 10minute section is not uploaded.

I will ride an extra 5 minutes tomorrow morning to see if this will assist in the issue.

The activities are not uploaded to Strava or TrainingPeaks at all from the app <edit> even though I have linked both accounts . One has to download the .fit file for manual upload into these programs. I will be researching to see if there is a remedy for this and report back.

Edited by RocknRolla

More feedback ( not sure how valuable but for the sake of searching the web and helping others possibly here goes...)

So the complete workout is saved on ones iOS device, and can be downloaded using iTunes ( in the area where apps share files)

This can then be uploaded in total to TrainingPeaks and Strava but not Zwift's platform.

I have done about 9 hours on zwift, and it really is amazing. I even did a two hour ride the other day, where previously at my fittest, I really had to motivate myself to complete an hour on the trainer.

Also lekker to see saffa's out on the road each time.

Edited by RocknRolla

Further update: I have had two partial uploads of my rides, out of the hour session only 50 minutes was uploaded to their server.

Apparently an activity is synchronized every 10 minutes, but if you lose connection during this time, that 10minute section is not uploaded.

I will ride an extra 5 minutes tomorrow morning to see if this will assist in the issue.

The activities are not uploaded to Strava or TrainingPeaks at all from the app <edit> even though I have linked both accounts . One has to download the .fit file for manual upload into these programs. I will be researching to see if there is a remedy for this and report back.

Rode today, it uploaded automatically to Strava for me

It's a bit hit and miss for me. This mornings group ride (race, really) uploaded no problem.

My legs however feels like they are still stuck in cyberspace...

• 2 weeks later...

More feedback:

Rode this evening, which seems to be a very popular time on the Island. 1500+ cyclists makes for a very busy road.

I struggled to get on to the island, and knew I will have upload issues. I am basically doing manual uploads whenever the auto uploads fail. No biggie.

I am amazed on a personal level, how great this is as a training tool for someone as unmotivated as me.

The flipside is, that it's the only riding I get to do because of injury. I do however see myself carrying on once I am back to normal cycling.

I have never had a problem with the uploading of sessions directly to Strava.  On PC or iOS.

I have started to really enjoy the racing.  The ODZ coffee rides are especially enjoyable.  2 x 10km laps at a controlled pace and then the espresso lap which is balls to the wall racing.

I find the racing quite realistic.  You burn matches trying to stay with the group in the same way as real life.

If you use the Discord app you can even get commentary on the race while you are creating your puddle of sweat.

Seems my connection issues are wifi and adsl related.

I have only done one 5km race and a group ride. As you say, got dropped on the final lap because of hanging on to a group.

Also enjoying this a lot.

I was going to do intervals on the idt this morning. Virtual training would not open on the ipad. Deleted and reinstalled then wanted me to prove I had paid which I have done for the last 2 years. Got grumpy, deleted app and cancelled subscription.

Loaded and subscribed to Zwift in a few minutes. Rode around trying to find out how it works and then did intervals up Box Hill (both sides). Took a while to work out how to turn around and the hill length was spot on for the interval.

Only after the ride did I try to set up link to Training Peaks. Not sure how to recover the data from this ride. I think I emailed it to myself, but will look for it later.

Not sure how the rest of the app works but will "Phone a friend" to help me.

It "felt" a great deal harder than the road, but my legs are tired at the moment so I will put it to fatigue.

Just a question, Do I need to calibrate the Powerbeam Pro and if so how do I do this? Virtual Training made you do this at the start of each ride.

You have to set up your links to various accounts from the website and not the app.

You can find the .fit file on your ipad by connecting it to itunes on the pc. Then go to "apps" and scroll down to where "files shared by apps" or something is, copy the whole file to your c drive and upload manually to strava and training peaks.

Once you have set up the links, it should happen automatically after each ride.

I unfortunately have no experience with powerbeam.

Edited by RocknRolla