Insurance for bicycles

Cyc-liast

I don't know much on this subject but what I do know makes me pretty confused and angry. I've been with Outsurance for home and contents and one of my 2 cars since I moved here from Sydney 5 years ago. 

My bike is insured on out and about that they want to charge me R950 pm for my R65K Transition. Cyclesure and the other main one that has been discussed in many threads here in the last 6 months quoted R300 odd. full. Only issue is I have to jump through a lot of hoops to get the policy sorted (official quotes on replacement, receipts, photos, full specs etc) not that each of those things is a pain but having to get them all ticked off before you're covered is admin. 

Not sure where Outsurance get off claiming that if you hold al your policies with them you get discount-a-rama and if you can get a cheaper quote they'll give you coin but frankly the only claim I put in for my previous bike getting nicked was pretty 'whatever' once they established I'd pulled it off out-and-about a month before due to a bung shoulder (road accident) and hadn't put it back on when it got knocked out of my ute. Even then the only thing they covered was my extra wheels and they had to check my bike was under a canvas cover, not visible, locked and in a public place before refunding me the R890 @ market price on a R8500 wheels. 3 years of premiums... see ya. 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately check whether they cover you during races/funrides, etc...alot of insurance company's do not!

When it gets to actually claiming, they'll quote the "fine print" and reject claim! So get that confirmation in writing!

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody have experience with King Price Insurance?

I contacted Standard Bank to update my personal Home Insurance, and they offered me a great policy (including Car and 2 x bicycles) for not much more than I'm paying currently on just the Car and Bicycles.

Got their detailed quote, and it matches or even beat my current insurer on most points.