J∆kk∆ls

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you come right? 

I used to have a bicycle in Leeuwarden, Groningen and Amsterdam, when I was still studying and used to see friends and join parties in those cities. In The Netherlands we are all part of the stolen bike problem, because we buy a stolen bike behind the train station for 10-20 euros when our own bikes gets stolen. There is also a chance that the City confiscates your bicycle when you leave it parked for too long at the train station, for example. They put a coloured ribbon around your wheel and if it doesn't break within 14 days or so, it means you're overstaying. Cycling is a breeze, you have a right of your share on the read and drivers should be mindful of you. We pay a rough 2000 euros for our driver's license, get 30-40 driving lessons for that and a significant part of theory and practice is bicycle awareness. This is because you would, as a driver, almost always lose a court case in the event of an accident.

Have fun. 

drivers should be mindful of you. 

Been in NL for a month and the drivers are fantastic. Very aware of whats happening around them and considerate. People riding scooters however, ******* menace, the lot of them. Make up their own rules and swerve like nitwits all over the roads and bikepaths. I am certain if I am ever in an accident here, a scooter will be involved.

Been in NL for a month and the drivers are fantastic. Very aware of whats happening around them and considerate. People riding scooters however, ******* menace, the lot of them. Make up their own rules and swerve like nitwits all over the roads and bikepaths. I am certain if I am ever in an accident here, a scooter will be involved.

That and those one or two seater little car things on the bike paths. Acc to law if it has a motor and can go faster than 45km/h it is not allowed on the bike path.

That and those one or two seater little car things on the bike paths. Acc to law if it has a motor and can go faster than 45km/h it is not allowed on the bike path.

Those tiny cars have also been a bit of a curiosity. No close calls yet, but every time I see one, I'm on high alert. What if this sleepy old man forgets to open his eyes. That tiny car will hurt.

The tiny cars are for disabled people, so I'm told. Haven't had any issues with them. But those scooters are k@k annoying especially the ones wearing headphones that can't hear your bell when you want to pass them. All in all it is a hell of a lot safer than cycling in SA. No need for gears single speed all the way. And I'm getting this pack pedal brake business down. Most dangerous thing on a Dutch bike lane has got be a bakfiets filled with kids.

The tiny cars are for disabled people, so I'm told. Haven't had any issues with them. But those scooters are k@k annoying especially the ones wearing headphones that can't hear your bell when you want to pass them. All in all it is a hell of a lot safer than cycling in SA. No need for gears single speed all the way. And I'm getting this pack pedal brake business down. Most dangerous thing on a Dutch bike lane has got be a bakfiets filled with kids.

Saw quite a few able bodies using them. But ja the scooters are mal. Those bakfietse are quite awesome tho. Edited by Pieter1

Saw quite a few able bodies using them. But ja the scooters are mal. Those bakfietse are quite awesome tho.

You don't need a license for those.

So that's why disabled people.(notice they are a bit different then the following groups)

People to lazy to get a licence

People to dumb to get a licence

People who can't see clearly anymore or have to slow reaction times

People who have had their license revoked

All drive them. So there is a good chance they are threath to your safety

• 2 weeks later...

So I suffered my first crash in over two years, on Friday.

I was on my way to Zuid Station and was in a bit of a rush. Cycling on my single speed commuter with back pedal braking.  The roads were wet from rain. I was cycling round the traffic circle when a scooter came past me and then took the same exit as me but then braked suddenly. His rear brake light was not working so by the time I realized he was slowing down quickly it was too late. I braked hard to avoid collision, causing the rear wheel to slide out. 

Luckily nothing is broken, but my left leg went down with the bike while my my body hit the ground on the right side. I definitely twisted something as I can't apply weight to the leg.

@sshol3 scooter drove off, but another cyclist stopped to move my bike out the lane while I was collecting myself. 

When will the government finely outlaw scooters in the bike lane? 

I'll add that I was cycling a bit fast and could have been more careful, yet if that scooter had not sped past me only to hit the brakes this would not have happened. 

I was on my way to Zuid Station and was in a bit of a rush. Cycling on my single speed commuter with back pedal braking.  The roads were wet from rain. I was cycling round the traffic circle when a scooter came past me and then took the same exit as me but then braked suddenly. His rear brake light was not working so by the time I realized he was slowing down quickly it was too late. I braked hard to avoid collision, causing the rear wheel to slide out. 

Luckily nothing is broken, but my left leg went down with the bike while my my body hit the ground on the right side. I definitely twisted something as I can't apply weight to the leg.

@sshol3 scooter drove off, but another cyclist stopped to move my bike out the lane while I was collecting myself. 

I'll add that I was cycling a bit fast and could have been more careful, yet if that scooter had not sped past me only to hit the brakes this would not have happened. 

In a cycling friendly country like Holland I really thought this would be sorted.........

Edited by coppi

I also hardly ever crash/fall.  But this year that changed.  Crashed once hitting ice.  Crashed once hitting water/mud covered metal plate.  Crashed once into another commuter cycling on the wrong side of the cyclepath.

I also hardly ever crash/fall.  But this year that changed.  Crashed once hitting ice.  Crashed once hitting water/mud covered metal plate.  Crashed once into another commuter cycling on the wrong side of the cyclepath.

I guess the more you ride the more you are likely to fall. 

Commuters on the wrong side happens quite a lot here. It's just that the scooter try and squeeze into every gap to gain an advantage. It's like there is a magical donut waiting for them on the other side. Yes the majority of scooter users really could with the exercise! 

I guess the more you ride the more you are likely to fall. 

Commuters on the wrong side happens quite a lot here. It's just that the scooter try and squeeze into every gap to gain an advantage. It's like there is a magical donut waiting for them on the other side. Yes the majority of scooter users really could with the exercise! 

Scooter are normally not allowed here on cycle lanes but there are exceptions where they are not allowed on certain roads as well then they have to use the cycle lanes as an alternative.  But there are signs up for that.

In a cycling friendly country like Holland I really thought this would be sorted.........

You would think. But then last night my neighbor's were having a BBQ in the street with chairs tables the works. Drinking and smoking and laughing. Its perfectly legal and I love how liberal this country is. Concerning scooting in bike lanes they have dropped the ball! 

Edited by J∆kk∆ls

Scooter are normally not allowed here on cycle lanes but there are exceptions where they are not allowed on certain roads as well then they have to use the cycle lanes as an alternative.  But there are signs up for that.

As I understand it the scooters on bike lanes are also restricted to 40kmh and you don't need to wear a helmet  :eek:

If your scooter can go faster the 40kmh then you have to share the road with cars and wear a helmet. 

Scooters pick and choose. Bike lane here, road there. Pedestrian pavement for good measure. Sorry for your eina Jakkals, but I'm not surprised one of those devils was involved.