[Event] The Herald Continental Cycle Tour - Road

Cuba

Event Name: The Herald Continental Cycle Tour - Road
When: 26 February 2017
Where: Pollock Beach, Marine Drive, Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape
Category: Road

The 32nd edition of the iconic Herald Continental Cycle Tour Road race will take place on 26th February 2017 with both professional and amateur cyclists testing their strength and expertise on the routes set out in and around Nelson Mandela Bay.

Pollock Beach sees the start and finish of the 106km Classic - known for its scenic coastal route around the city. The supporting event for the Classic is the shorter 55km Pursuit. In addition to the feature races a fun 35 km Team Relay Challenge has been added to the line up on the 25th February. The 15 km Mountain Bike + the 20 km Road leg will see teams consisting of two members challenging each other for bragging rights at the office or school. The event forms part of the festival of cycling which includes live entertainment, trendy food trucks, kiddies play park, family tent, beer arena and a velo cafe for corporate hospitality.

106 km Classic Strava Route Profile

55 km Pursuit Strava Route Profile

More Info: www.heraldcycletour.co.za

Go to Event Page

• 1 month later...

I'm starting in AL, who else is riding?

I last did it in 2013, hopefully the weather is as nice this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting in AL, who else is riding?

I last did it in 2013, hopefully the weather is as nice this year.

The wind was howling like a beast in 2013. I remember finding myself very exposed at certain points and had to dig deep. Ripped my legs to shreds. How was it this year? 

• 10 months later...

The wind was howling like a beast in 2013. I remember finding myself very exposed at certain points and had to dig deep. Ripped my legs to shreds. How was it this year? 

Whoops, completely missed this post, sorry!

It was good. A change in route brought a short but steep climb near the start, quite a few spectators though so that was cool. Plus a different post race village, which I think was pretty good and has a lot of potential. Very glad I did it, in hindsight, with the Argus cancelled before I could start.

I'm looking forward to this year's event. We have family in PE, so it is a nice weekend and the race is a bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

Also starting AL. Hopefully we'll have a group that works well together and we can do SUB 3.

My experience previous years is always only a handful of okes pacing with 30 riders just sucking wheel, but once the finish line is in sight everyone seems to magically get some energy and sprint for 125th place......

• 4 weeks later...

Also starting AL. Hopefully we'll have a group that works well together and we can do SUB 3.

My experience previous years is always only a handful of okes pacing with 30 riders just sucking wheel, but once the finish line is in sight everyone seems to magically get some energy and sprint for 125th place......

How'd your race go?

I'll be honest, I was just a hanger-on - barely at times.

But I made no attempt to get involved in the sprint - I had achieved my sub-3 goal. I feel that if I can't work, I shouldn't be trying to outsprint those effectively responsible for the bunch's (and thus my) good time. I guess it is a different story in the racing bunches (Elites, U/23, Vets, etc), but in the open bunches I don't see the point.

I was a bit surprised at how early we caught the Elite ladies.

This year's event was even better than last year's, I think. I'm already looking forward to next year.