Sram brake fluid

NickGM

HI Folks,

My sram guide brakes need a bit of a bleed, and on the brake it specifies "Only DOT 5.1 DOT 4", which I assume to mean that either of those is OK, but nothing else. Both are pretty readily available from motorbike shops, so my question is, is there any difference between the two in terms of performance? All I know is that 5.1 has a higher boiling point (and higher price). 

And actually, while I'm asking - I may need to give my reverb a bleed as well. From what I've read, "rockshox reverb oil" is really just repackaged 2.5wt suspension fork oil. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

You can use dot 4 or dot 5.1

It makes no difference to performance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Go to Full Throttle and buy Dot 5.1. I also saw some tins at Northcliff cycles in December.

HI Folks,

My sram guide brakes need a bit of a bleed, and on the brake it specifies "Only DOT 5.1 DOT 4", which I assume to mean that either of those is OK, but nothing else. Both are pretty readily available from motorbike shops, so my question is, is there any difference between the two in terms of performance? All I know is that 5.1 has a higher boiling point (and higher price).

And actually, while I'm asking - I may need to give my reverb a bleed as well. From what I've read, "rockshox reverb oil" is really just repackaged 2.5wt suspension fork oil. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

DoT 5.1 has higher boiling point. Intended for high performance cars. MTB brakes shouldn't be getting that hot.

Normal DoT 4 is just fine. make sure it is freshly opened or has been stored in a well sealed container.

Avoid DoT 5 which is a silicone based fluid. It will damage your seals.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Archived