Bicycle tour Cape Town

Anne A.

Hey, my Name is Ann-Kathrin. I'm a 28 year's old woman from Germany and I stay in Pretoria for 3 month to absolve a practical time for my training.

I planed to do a bicycle tour from Cape Town to Cape of good hope (1.etape), to Strand (2.etape), to Kleinmond (3.etape) and to Hermanus (on the 4.day and than with a rented car back to Cape Town). I would like to drive comfortable in this 4 day's (every day round about 60 km) at the coast street. I will sleep in the differente town's /city's. I planed it from the 9. February to the 12. February. I know, it's very short, but my boss give me short-term free for this few days and I would like to use the day's useful :).

On this way I'm searching now for interested people, they have time and energy to come with me (also a part of the trip).

Hi Ann, I would like to suggest that you maybe change your route slightly and rather start your trip from the Strand. The section from CT to Strand is not very safe or cycle friendly. The 4th day you can then cycle from Hermanus to Gansbaai and drive back from there.

I've done this route while touring by bicycle before, it's a stunning ride, enjoy :thumbup:

Hey Buff_SA, thank you for the information. Do you have an idea, what is the best option to come with an bicycle from Cape of good hope to Strand with the public transportation? Is there a ferry or something like this, was also transport a bicycle?

Not much in the line of public transport so use Uber or perhaps one of the people on Bikehub who live in Somerset West will offer you a lift

Ok, uber is a good idea :). The trip to the Cape of good hope is ok, it's only the trip from Cape Town to Strand, what's unsafe? Do you think, that's also ok to drive the trip alone, when nobody have time to drive with me?

Ok, uber is a good idea :). The trip to the Cape of good hope is ok, it's only the trip from Cape Town to Strand, what's unsafe? Do you think, that's also ok to drive the trip alone, when nobody have time to drive with me?

the Road from muizemberg to the N2 is not one of the greatest places to cycle

have a look here 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/165058-wc-is-baden-powell-drive-safe-to-ride-on/page-2?hl=strandfontein&do=findComment&comment=3032922

Accommodation at the Cape point Reserve is rather limited there is accommodation outside the park though.

I have given a cyclist doing the same thing a lift from muizenberg to just outside somerset west..but unfortunately i cant over that week.

Safe trip

Edited by HowardSteele

Yes, if you start the trip from the Strand and follow the coastal route via Rooi Els & Kleinmond then I think it is safe, generally that road is not too busy in the week and it is very scenic.

And to get to cape Point from the city of Cape Town, take the train (or an Uber) to Simonstown and ride from there to the point and then back to the city via Chapmans peak, Llandudno and Camps bay. It is safe, beautiful and very special.

Start the next day from the Strand via the coastal road to Hermanus.

Edited by eddy

Thank you for your informations, it was very helpful for me. Now I take the train from Cape Town to Strand (with the hope, that the train also transport the bicycle) and rides from there to Cape point. From Cape point I ride to fish hoek over kommetjie (to Camp's Bay it was a little bit to far). The second day I try to get an uber taxi to come to Strand and there I start to Kleinmond. The next day I than only drive from Kleinmond to hermanus. It is not really far, but from gansbaai I don't come back to Cape Town (uber is than a little bit to expensive and there is no car rental station :( ). When anybody short - term like to drive with me, the hole trip or a part of the trip, than write here :), I will look every day (but I think from the 9 th february first in the evening, when I arrive at my station)

Edited by Anne A.

Hi Ann

If you are going to ride from Hermanus to Gansbaai be very careful.  There is no hard shoulder on the road for most of that route and cars usually drive well above the 100km/h speed limit.  Make sure to wear something that makes you easily visible.

There are some taxi companies based in Hermanus which may be able to help with a lift back to Hermanus from Gansbaai.

http://www.hermanustaxi.com/

http://www.bernardustransfershermanus.co.za/

If you don't come right with them pm me I live in Hermanus and may be able to help, but won't be sure until nearer the end of the week.

Have and awesome ride.

I'm good arrived in Hermanus :). The tour was very nice and safe, only the wind was sometimes very hard.

Today on the trip to Hermanus I got a flat (anywhere in the no where), but with the help of a friendly couple (they stopped the car for me) I could fixed the bike :). But this was the only problem of the trip.

Tomorrow than I drive to bot River with the uber (I hope it works tomorrow, today was no taxi available) and than I start from bot River to Cape Town with the Baz bus (It cost 300 Rand for one person and a bicycle) :).

Thank you for all your tips and informations, it was really a great tour ????!