First Look: 2017 Momsen VIPA TWO

Bike Hub Features

I like alot. Just the colour scheme is a bit to be desired. But looks like an effficient bike. Maybe one day......

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In reply to the comments about innovating and updating etc. The basis of the frame as we know it today was launched in 2014 which makes 2017 its 3rd model year. It has seen some running updates, but no major overall or "innovation" since then and that the 2nd bottle mount is quite clever. You could also argue that putting INTERNAL routing for a dropper on a dedicated XC bike back then was quite forward thinking and ahead of the curve. 

Look at any other brand and you will soon realize that a frame needs to run 3 - 5 years to make money - most update a bike in its 4th year. Innovating EVERY SINGLE YEAR will mean new molds, new costs, new marketing new everything which will make bikes even more expensive. Soon we will have okes posting images of SUV's in reply to a bicycle's RRP. 

Back to the VIPA. There's nothing strange about it only seeing some color and rolling updates. It makes economic sense and is the way EVERYONE does it. Yes, the Scalpel and Spark are ground up new designs, but how long were the previous models running around for?

As far as INNOVATION is concerned. What do you guys have in mind? A new axle standard? The way a crank mounts to a frame? Something so new that it drives up costs or forces a new standard on us? Who has been INNOVATING anyway? What counts as INNOVATION? I'd say the first suspension fork was INNOVATION. So too dual suspension bike, new suspension designs, etc. Yes, there are innovations but surely we can't expect every manufacturer to innovate every year in order for us to be happy. 

Do a search on YouTube for the Momsen VIPA and a Google search for the launch articles and you will soon learn that the frame wasn't bought from anywhere. The mold is owned by Momsen with the workings of the suspension courtesy of Patrick Morewood. 

While I have the mic... For a brand like Momsen it takes LONGER to pay off the design, R&D and mold costs as a) each frames costs more due to volume compared to the big guys b) so far there has only been one dual suspension bike in their range to recover costs against. [spez develop in-downtube SWAT. They roll that out to several models so the cost of that bit of R&D is very small per frame] 

This is not unique in the bike trade. BMW's F800GS has been running around largely unchanged since 2009. The VW Golf sees an update every 4-5 years and for those who haven't noticed since the Golf 5 the mid-life update has not been called that, but rather "Golf 6". Imagine Apple calling the 7s an 8 and the drama that will come from that. 

So, I'd say if in year 5 there is still no sign of a new and updated VIPA, then we will can all have a bit of a moan. ESPECIALLY if their marketing team tries to foil us. 

and hence the name VI(victor)PA(Patrick)