Cyclist down Tokai Road 5th Feb

cadenceblur

She needs to contemplate public transport

And on that note.. if we had better reliable public transport that would also help.

PUTCO busses, my number 1 fear on the road, if I see one coming, I get off my bike and climb up the pavement. Even in Somerset, those busses feel nothing for cyclists.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She needs to contemplate public transport

And on that note.. if we had better reliable public transport that would also help.

She needs to forced to ride a bike for a week! Then public transport assuming she isn't hook on cycling and still alive.

PUTCO busses, my number 1 fear on the road, if I see one coming, I get off my bike and climb up the pavement. Even in Somerset, those busses feel nothing for cyclists.

Feared them more than any taxi.  When that thing come from behind with the noise of that engine reffing is like a bat out of hell. 

To some extend there was something. It was more in the line of the municiple bus schedule was in line with school times on certain routes.

When I was at school that was also the case here.. (municiple run busses for scholars), but now all of the high school here have their own busses.

Think is is R15 per trip but at my boys school if you pay the school fees for the year before February kids don't have to pay for the bus services.. so mornings, afternoons as well as the sports bus that leaves at 5:30pm is included. So we do that, not that the kids use the bus too often but they do use it from time to time.

Sorry.. SAFE, reliable public transport

Just too many vehicles on the road, too many traffic jams and too many impatient people driving.

When I was at school that was also the case here, but now all of the high school here have their own busses.

Think is is R15 per trip but at my boys school if you pay the school fees for the year before February kids don't have to pay for the bus services.. so mornings, afternoons as well as the sports bus that leaves at 5:30pm is included. So we do that, not that the kids use the bus too often but they do use it from time to time.

Here in Germany the Government pays for the public transport for kids if you kid stays futher than 3 km from school.  They get a special ticket so they can get on train/bus whatever.  If some schools are not on public transport route network, busses are chartered (normally the local public transport vendor)

Here in Germany the Government pays for the public transport for kids if you kid stays futher than 3 km from school.  They get a special ticket so they can get on train/bus whatever.  If some schools are not on public transport route network, busses are chartered (normally the local public transport vendor)

Here in Cape Town we have blue sky and sun (kind of all year round) - kids should ride bikes!

Also a very small % of Population pay tax - housing more important than providing costly transport when bicycles don't em-mitt gas or take fuel!

Here in Cape Town we have blue sky and sun (kind of all year round) - kids should ride bikes!

Should I take a picture of the Bike shed at school here  ^_^

My youngest is not allowed to cycle on the road with here bicycle yet.  She has not done her license yet. That is due this spring.  But she is 1 km from the school so she either walks or uses her scooter (skop fietsie) or bicycle when mom or myself can escourt her.

The oldest will start now in spring.  She was moved between schools recently so the whole routine was stuffed.

Also a very small % of Population pay tax - housing more important than providing costly transport when bicycles don't em-mitt gas or take fuel!

Oh and the wind to help burn that last Happy Meal  ^_^

Oh and the wind to help burn that last Happy Meal  ^_^

You cant see the wind - I can take a nice Pic of the Mountain and tell you there no wind! I maybe lying.

My brother (Switzerland) and sister (UK - London) both have allowed their kids to cycle to school - It really should be the same way here in RSA.

Yes it is a great idea, and I am all it. However the biggest problem in major cities is that there are too many vehicles on the roads. Everyone rushes to beat traffic so they speed and do not pay attention on the road and once they are stuck in traffic they turn into monsters.

Of we can somehow have fewer vehicles on the road it will be a great start in making our roads safer for all who use it.

Yes it is a great idea, and I am all it. However the biggest problem in major cities is that there are too many vehicles on the roads. Everyone rushes to beat traffic so they speed and do not pay attention on the road and once they are stuck in traffic they turn into monsters.

Part of the solution is to get these people in cars on bikes.

China is now having a huge problem with traffic - in the past most people cycled but now with the Chinese population becoming more "middle class" they moving towards cars. The Chinese Government is already working on changing this.

Traffic too a cyclist as mentioned before is far safer generally (maybe not so pleasant) than cars moving at say 80km/h. When bikes are faster than cars in traffic and you the cyclist are fully concentrating on what the "idiot" behind the wheel are doing - then you the safest. Yes thinking for all but still safe.

Bateleur 1 - you have any idea of how many cyclist are killed on the roads in Germany in a year. We are naturally all very concerned about the recent spate on incidents in RSA with regards to cyclist - but we also know in Dec more people get killed on RSA road than in some wars. I suppose I am asking what is the "acceptable" amount of fatalities - yes we all want to have NONE but that's like us all wanting to live for ever. I think RSA population is now about 55 million people - relative to many other countries those who cycle will be a small %.

Bateleur 1 - you have any idea of how many cyclist are killed on the roads in Germany in a year. We are naturally all very concerned about the recent spate on incidents in RSA with regards to cyclist - but we also know in Dec more people get killed on RSA road than in some wars. I suppose I am asking what is the "acceptable" amount of fatalities - yes we all want to have NONE but that's like us all wanting to live for ever. I think RSA population is now about 55 million people - relative to many other countries those who cycle will be a small %.

No idea.  I have been here for almost two years.  I only know of one hit and run where a cyclist was involved and luckily not too badly injured.  Now every bloody bumper scratch gets reported in the newspapers here and if you drive off without reporting it, it is treated as any other hit and run and you could face a three year prison sentence for leaving the scene of the accident.  We had a case last week where someone fled the scene for a bumper bash and a witness came forward.  That guy is in big trouble now.  The only stats I have wrt to road accidents is that the total deaths for Germany for 2016 is just over 3000 on a population of over 80 million.  I will try and find out who many involve cyclists.  The majority of the accidents I read about is head on collisions as there are many roads that are very narrow and people misjudge themselves.

Archived