Cyclist down Tokai Road 5th Feb

cadenceblur

If the photo I posted was taken in the Cradle, I can see the problem. The grass on the left verge has not been trimmed in like, forever.  :whistling:  That's why the cyclist only have half a lane to ride in.

Here in da Republic of Cape Town, this kind of thing does not happen, so we do have the full lane available to use (and we do not have to dodge Taxis and potholes at the same time)   

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What could be a temporary solution, is to place those little "flaps" on the yellow line, to create a "barrier" between the driving lane, and the cycling / emergency lane. Should a vehicle go into the yellow lane, it can be done safely without damage to his vehicle, but it also creates an visual barrier, and will go a long way in preventing the dreaded "lane drift"

It will also keep the cyclist to the left of the yellow lane, and prevent them from riding on the yellow line, as many are prone to do. 

Something similar to this. It can be retrofitted, and won't cost millions (I think  :blush: )

p1270128.jpg?w=660

That needs to have kerb stones or bollards separating it from the road. It will be the only way to keep cars out and prevent any car from parking there. Even those metal railings like on some bridges can work.

However, a cycle lane has to be "fenced" from traffic. 

No, they just got in the way. I hit them on many occasions, luckily never fell.

What they also did was prevent 2 riders from comfortably riding 2 abreast inside the cycle lane, so cyclists actually started straying into the car lane so that they could ride two abrupt and chat.

Now with them gone, there fewer cyclists are riding in the middle of the road, still lots, but fewer.

Would these chevron hobbies stop taxis from using normal emergency lanes? hmmmm not sure. I think visible policing there would be more effective in taxi/lane using hotspots.

From what i have read and the feedback on the current bike lanes is that there needs to be a barrier between traffic and the cyclist. 

The humps on the bike lanes in Woodstock help with the moving cars and if you hit them them they are not the end of the world.

It really does depend on the intent of the yellow lane/bike lane and the actual size of the lane. We can just fit 2 abreast in the bike lane if people dont swing open doors etc. 

Shame, in CPT there was a cop writing tickets for all the cars parked in the bike lane, the one dude was protesting that he had no clue that a green lane was the bike lane. 

I think a lot more signage needs to be erected, we cannot assume all motorists understand that a green lane is a non stopping zone.

Edited by Pure Savage

No, they just got in the way. I hit them on many occasions, luckily never fell.

What they also did was prevent 2 riders from comfortably riding 2 abreast inside the cycle lane, so cyclists actually started straying into the car lane so that they could ride two abrupt and chat.

Now with them gone, there fewer cyclists are riding in the middle of the road, still lots, but fewer.

Would these chevron hobbies stop taxis from using normal emergency lanes? hmmmm not sure. I think visible policing there would be more effective in taxi/lane using hotspots.

I agree barriers are costly, added risk to cyclist and also add additional cost for maintenance. Law enforcement  and education is the  way to go. Start with Taxi drivers and the Taxi owners as part of the permit renewals. Car drivers found in contravention also attend  similar education course..... hit them with time not money. 

Law enforcement and education, all good and well. Hows it gonna be implemented?

How often is a cop gonna write a fine?

Writing your learners is already the education and drivers know full and well what all these are. The minute they see a cop on the road, then suddenly everyone is law abiding, stopping at stop streets, not parking in loading bays and bike lanes etc.

I hear what you guys are saying, but reality of the matter is that traffic police is useless, unless they sit behind a speed camera.

Council does far better work in painting street markings and maintening kerbs etc.

That needs to have kerb stones or bollards separating it from the road. It will be the only way to keep cars out and prevent any car from parking there. Even those metal railings like on some bridges can work.

I'm not talking of "permanent cycle lane only" but a way to utilize the current lovely, wide yellow emergency lanes we are currently forced to use as cycling lanes.

Create a visual barrier between the cyclist and motorised transport, but not so drastic that it will prevent the vehicle from using the emergency lane if they have to. Something the motorist can see, and hear when they drive over it, but nothing that will damage the vehicle. This will also force the cyclist to stay left of the yellow line, removing him even further from danger. And it will alert the driver when they start to "lane wander"

"Our" emergency lanes here in the WC is mostly wide enough, and the road verges in good enough condition, so that it will not create additional problems. 

Strangely enough, I have found the Taxi (Minibus) drivers are some of the more aware and courteous drivers on the road. Many a time I got a flash of headlights or a friendly handwave to show I can go where I was waiting to join in, or cross roads, where there is not a Stop street. 

The SUV and Double Cab drivers on the other hand.....  :cursing:

basically the same idea my youngster had except he wanted the cycle lane raised 15cm above the road making it extremely difficult to drive into and, in his mind, making the riders more visible.

Law enforcement and education, all good and well. Hows it gonna be implemented?

How often is a cop gonna write a fine?

Writing your learners is already the education and drivers know full and well what all these are. The minute they see a cop on the road, then suddenly everyone is law abiding, stopping at stop streets, not parking in loading bays and bike lanes etc.

I hear what you guys are saying, but reality of the matter is that traffic police is useless, unless they sit behind a speed camera.

Council does far better work in painting street markings and maintening kerbs etc.

Yup they are, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed? How do you think we should fix the law enforcement?

Dont you guys get tired of saying "jaaaaaaa, but it won't work because of x/y/z"

From what i have read and the feedback on the current bike lanes is that there needs to be a barrier between traffic and the cyclist. 

The humps on the bike lanes in Woodstock help with the moving cars and if you hit them them they are not the end of the world.

It really does depend on the intent of the yellow lane/bike lane and the actual size of the lane. We can just fit 2 abreast in the bike lane if people dont swing open doors etc. 

Shame, in CPT there was a cop writing tickets for all the cars parked in the bike lane, the one dude was protesting that he had no clue that a green lane was the bike lane. 

I think a lot more signage needs to be erected, we cannot assume all motorists understand that a green lane is a non stopping zone.

Brilliant!!  Glad to hear the cops are doing something.....

Signage must be improved, 100%, but not just cycle lane ones, like on the the other thread, general cycling related signage must be improved too.

Just having signs about cyclists on the roads will on its own will start to change peoples perceptions of our right to use the road..... Think the bus lane in CPT on the N2. The signage of that lane did have an impact on driver behaviour. 

Edited by Patchelicious

Haven't read this whole thread - but what has happened to the concept of bike sheds at school?

I started cycling to get to school and learned how to be considerate to other road users at an early age.

Apart from modern technology apparent been developed by Volve. Surely insisting the children commute to school by bicycle at least 2 to 3times per week from grade 7 upward would be a good solution for getting cyclist recognized. I realize its kind of using children as pawns - but I do believe motorist would change there attitude toward bicycle rider know that it may be there child or a friends child. Naturally with time these kids would become drivers and show similar respect to other cyclist. Rome was not built in a day but it seems the school commuter stopped about 15 years ago and it would be great to see it start again - reduce congestion on the road while keeping kids fitter and less fat.

Hopefully the end result would be a cultural change - that's what they have in Holland!

Edited by Icycling

That's generally frowned upon.

Using them as PAWNS, though... 

Agreed with the jist of your post though. 

Thanks - change made - I really or you really must your mind out the cutter!

Haven't read this whole thread - but what has happened to the concept of bike sheds at school?

I started cycling to get to school and learned how to be considerate to other road users at an early age.

Apart from modern technology apparent been developed by Volve. Surely insisting the children commute to school by bicycle at least 2 to 3times per week from grade 7 upward would be a good solution for getting cyclist recognized. I realize its kind of using children as pawns - but I do believe motorist would change there attitude toward bicycle rider know that it may be there child or a friends child. Naturally with time these kids would become drivers and show similar respect to other cyclist. Rome was not built in a day but it seems the school commuter stopped about 15 years ago and it would be great to see it start again - reduce congestion on the road while keeping kids fitter and less fat.

Hopefully the end result would be a cultural change - that's what they have in Holland!

There are no bike sheds at schools anymore as quite frankly there is no need for them as children do not really cycle to school. There are a myriad of reasons why and safety (busy roads and bike muggings) appears to be the main reason.  

It's a noble idea to have kids cycle to school! Most of us did it back in the day and it's the reason we're still so infatuated with riding today!

Couple of concerns. The world is not the same place anymore. I'm not prepared to have my daughter cycle to school when a few others from her school used to do this and they were all mugged for their bikes and phones enroute, if they managed to survive the trip on the bike through the traffic in the first place! Just too many crazies out there who have no regard and sadly my kids are not as capable with their bike handling or confident in their situational awareness to know how to avoid most of the problems .... (yet). Till they are, it's just not gonna happen.

Ok maybe I must up the age to University - if you want your free education you must mostly commute by bicycle. "Jamie shuttles" need to be sold to pay the lecturers.

Again in Holland you may not attend a University unless you own a bicycle. It's amazing the Dutch girls who come to Stellenbosch on exchange course I been told - all ride around on bikes.

You have a lot more faith in the standard SA road user than I do.  A few years ago I was standing in the front of our garden when a couple came walking by with their 3-4 year old on his new bicycle.  It is in a residential area with basically no pedestrian walkway.  Along comes this vehicle hooting and screaming at the kids that was too close to the road, not reducing speed, not passing wide.  To top it all, the driver was a women.  One tend to think that women would be more carefull where children are involved.  This little kids suffered the same abuse and aggresion you and I have to deal with.