Help me diagnose the squeak coming from my bike

Dullscalpel

Hi guys,

So, my bike is setup on a giant indoor trainer. Something, somewhere, (sounds like behind me) is making a squeaking noise while I am training. Its a metallic like squeak- kinda like the noise a hamster wheel makes. I am not sure what is causing the noise. Any ideas???

I am a little concerned because I am doing the discovery duathlon this weekend and I don't have the time to take my bike in to my LBS beforehand

COULD be the tyre actualy slipping on the roller , put more pressure on the tyre and see what happens

COULD be the tyre actualy slipping on the roller , put more pressure on the tyre and see what happens

Thanks so much. I got off and spun the back tyre and nothing- no noise, but I didn't put pressure on the tyre. I will give that a try

I took my bike off the trainer and the noise persisted. From my untrained ear, the sound seems to be coming from either the crank or the cassette. Now, if it is coming from, say the cassette, I am concerned that it is doing some damage to the cassette or the chain. Should I be worried?

I vote for quick release skewer?

+1 for you! I opened and closed this and it seems to have worked. Don't ask why, but there is no more squeaking for now. Thanks so much!

One of the first things I learnt from hanging around the mechanics at tours,

quick release skewers are squeaky

Titanium quick release skewers are squeakier

:D

One of the first things I learnt from hanging around the mechanics at tours,

quick release skewers are squeaky

Titanium quick release skewers are squeakier

:D

Does the squeak mean anything in particular? Is anything being damaged?

Does the squeak mean anything in particular? Is anything being damaged?

I'm not sure, they always just greased them up and put them back.

Archived