15mm thru axle conversion to qr skewer.

BSG

Good day all.

I'm in need of advice please, my current wheelset is Alex rims (Merida tfs 500 big nine 2013 model) with Shimano qr skewer hubs. I have been given a Syncros wheelset with thru axle Dt Swiss hubs 15mm front and 12mm rear. Rear isn't a problem, but they say the front 15mm can't be converted to a qr skewer? They came from a Scott 910 2015 year model.

"Keep the rubber on the gravel "

Edited by BSG

Depends which DT Swiss they are. Most aren't, but I know that the 240's have replaceable end caps. What you CAN do is get something machined to sit inside the hub, so that the QR skewer has something to slide through. 

It'd be 15mm outer diameter and whatever teh thickness of the QR skewer is - think it's 5mm. 

Alternative is to rebuild the rim, using your shimano hubs and a new set of spokes. But those syncros rims aren't exactly the best. They have a reputation of imitating a pretzel every so often. 

I bought these from my LBS , HOPE 15mm thru axil to 9mm QR adaptors , did it over a year ago and no problems thus far .post-16115-0-24991500-1486722718_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sani

I bought these from my LBS , HOPE 15mm thru axil to 9mm QR adaptors , did it over a year ago and no problems thus far .attachicon.gif15mm thry axil to 9mm qr.jpg

If the existing adapters can be removed, then this should work. Should. There may be issues with bearing spacing between Hope & DT swiss, though. Not a one size fits all. 

https://ritcheylogic.com/15mm-to-qr-front-hub-adaptor

Your answer- ask your local bike shop to get these from Ritchey. Proper!

Cool thanks, I was thinking about the same, but I phoned 5 shops in our area and none of them could / would help me. I even asked about this type of inserts because I had them on a set of Stanz that I had, but they said that it can't be done.

Even DT Swiss makes such adapters but DT Swiss spares are hideously expensive and difficult to find in SA. I wanted a 36t or 54t star ratchet to replace the 18t ratchet in my bombproof DT350 hubs. These faster ratchets are available us upgrade kits in Europe and fitted to a lot of the upmarket Spez hubs but you can't buy them here as parts, even from Spez.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

Even DT Swiss makes such adapters but DT Swiss spares are hideously expensive and difficult to find in SA. I wanted a 36t or 54t star ratchet to replace the 18t ratchet in my bombproof DT350 hubs. These faster ratchets are available us upgrade kits in Europe and fitted to a lot of the upmarket Spez hubs but you can't buy them here as parts, even from Spez.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

On being expensive you are dead right, bikeshop in Knysna said that DT swiss is waiting for a container which will only arrive in a month or two and is hideously expensive. So I'll rather keep my Alex rims.

Depends which DT Swiss they are. Most aren't, but I know that the 240's have replaceable end caps. What you CAN do is get something machined to sit inside the hub, so that the QR skewer has something to slide through.

It'd be 15mm outer diameter and whatever teh thickness of the QR skewer is - think it's 5mm.

Alternative is to rebuild the rim, using your shimano hubs and a new set of spokes. But those syncros rims aren't exactly the best. They have a reputation of imitating a pretzel every so often.

Hi Myles.

But are they better than my Alex rims?

Hi Myles.

But are they better than my Alex rims?

Which Alex? Of they're the stock ones from the merida then yeah. Definitely Edited by Myles Mayhew

Which Alex? Of they're the stock ones from the merida then yeah. Definitely

Yes the stock Merida ones. ????

Edited by BSG

Thanks Jason, package arrived and it works ????%. Now I have to sort the rear 12mm thru axle out.