Question: Bikepacking Service Roads Next To Railway Lines

johanhorak

Thanks Nick

This is exactly why I asked about this.  Impassable for a CX bike?

Need to ask the questions first.

What about the Richtersveld 

If you keep to the main lines they still have fairly well maintained dirt service roads which will be no problem for a CX bike.

Its the secondary and branch lines - many have been simply abandoned and the infrastructure left to rot or get stolen and obviously the service roads are in many places no longer usable.

When you ask about the Richtersveld are you referring to roads in general or railway service roads?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Nick.  Referring to roads in and around the Richtersveld.

Anybody?

I have ridden them on a MTB hardtail. Roads vary from corrugations to areas of thick sand and rocks. Long distances and can get hot and windy. I don't recall anything that a CX bike and a bit of skill will not get through.

This railway lines have planted a seed. Lets see what happens!

Read Johann Rissik's experience of this and the seed will begin to sprout properly!

But then again Johann just rides, and rides and rides and is not the Kommandant for nothing.  He is not well  ;)  :lol:  

• 1 year later...

Thread revival from the Dead! - 

We were thinking (a small group of us) to cycle on the Magaliesburg railway service roads. Looks like fun. Apparently big in America. Just unsure of where to start and where to park etc?

Also safety is a big issue of course, as it would be riding into the unknown and it may go past areas with characters who may feel like a bit of robbery for the day- and then one would have to come back the same way again I assume.

Anyone know if this is a good idea?

Thread revival from the Dead! - 

We were thinking (a small group of us) to cycle on the Magaliesburg railway service roads. Looks like fun. Apparently big in America. Just unsure of where to start and where to park etc?

Also safety is a big issue of course, as it would be riding into the unknown and it may go past areas with characters who may feel like a bit of robbery for the day- and then one would have to come back the same way again I assume.

Anyone know if this is a good idea?

Most of the time you will be okay, most of the people you do meet are farm labourers and generally very friendly. Just keep looking ahead to make sure the railway line is not passing any informal settlements - that is where your problems will be.

Also be aware that some of the lines out that way are no longer in use so the service roads will be in poor condition and some of them even fenced off by local farmers.

Otherwise a great deal of fun and if you are doing it in a group should be cool !!

Archived