2015 Spec carbon - Lyne Dropper seat post i-n-t-e-r-n-a-l ?

Zebra

Hi - just bought a very nice, 2nd hand, hardly-used 2015 Epic carbon, to replace my trusty old S-Works alu 26'er...

A dropper post for the Epic, which has a 27.2mm seat post - is around seven THOUSAND rand from Specialized, but the internally-routed one from Lyne is 'just' R2.2K...

https://www.on-lynecomponents.com/collections/dropper-posts/products/27-2mmx105mm-internal

Can anyone advise me IF it will fit, and how to make it fit? thanks, Chris

(PS: It has 2 x 10 gearing, so NO option to use derailleur port, etc...)

Hi Chris,

Looking on the Specialized website, it seems that the 2015 Epic allows for internal gear and brake cable routing, but it does not mention a dropper post. If you are riding a 1x setup (i.e. a single chainring) then the front derailleur port could be used to enter the down tube, but it might not be possible to get around the bottom bracket and into the seat tube – this would have to be determined by trial and error. Where are you based – if you’re in Cape Town we could get someone to take a look for you.

We don’t offer an externally routed 27.2mm dropper post at present, but we expect to have these available in a couple of months.

Regards,

Derry

www.lynecomponents.com

post-1199-0-59706400-1486992938_thumb.jpg

post-1199-0-59144000-1486992954_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zebra

You should be able to push the cable outer through the seat tube and up into the frame.  The cable will go over the BB so you don’t have to remove the BB.  Get a piece of cable outer, put a slight kink in it about 4cm from the end.  Push the end through the seat tube and see if it works.

You will however need a different metal cap (not sure what it is called) were the cable exits the frame at the top.  At the moment you have a cap that allows for one 4mm cable outer, you will need a cap that allows 2x4mm cable outers. “4/4” is what will be written on the cap.  You should be able to get this from a Specialized store.

​Hope this helps.

You should be able to push the cable outer through the seat tube and up into the frame.  The cable will go over the BB so you don’t have to remove the BB.  Get a piece of cable outer, put a slight kink in it about 4cm from the end.  Push the end through the seat tube and see if it works.

You will however need a different metal cap (not sure what it is called) were the cable exits the frame at the top.  At the moment you have a cap that allows for one 4mm cable outer, you will need a cap that allows 2x4mm cable outers. “4/4” is what will be written on the cap.  You should be able to get this from a Specialized store.

​Hope this helps.

100% I have done this on my Epic with XTR. A lot of work but definitely worthwhile.

You should be able to push the cable outer through the seat tube and up into the frame. The cable will go over the BB so you don’t have to remove the BB. Get a piece of cable outer, put a slight kink in it about 4cm from the end. Push the end through the seat tube and see if it works.

You will however need a different metal cap (not sure what it is called) were the cable exits the frame at the top. At the moment you have a cap that allows for one 4mm cable outer, you will need a cap that allows 2x4mm cable outers. “4/4” is what will be written on the cap. You should be able to get this from a Specialized store.

​Hope this helps.

Best done by one man with a bike stand.

But it can also be attempted by three men in a parking lot all working at the same time like cjvan and myself tried it. Slightly less effective but infinitely funnier.

thanks you all, will try this in next week or two, really appreciate the feedback - cheers!

Chrsi

Definitely possible - you just need the wider insert in the side of the frame to allow two cables to run into the right hand side where you currently have just one.  Easily available from any Spaz shop.

And the Lyne droppers are winners as well.

just ordered the dropper post online, so will take a day or two to get to me, thanks for all the advice, will let you know how I get on...

Chris