Can we start a counter on the Bikehub of all the cyclists killed in a year?

Paul Ruinaard

I'm not really so sure this is a good idea.

For so many reasons. Turning tragedy into statistics being one and would be a horrible reminder to those directly involved every time they want to browse the classifieds.

Maybe buy a domain and start the clock counter for real life deaths on there... I think your intentions are good, but the suggestion not so much.

I understand what you say but... If there was proper statistics we would know how and where the tragedy took place and learn from the stats...

Like we learnt from the weekends death that doing U-turns in the cradle with headphones on is not a good idea...

I also learnt that riding in 4 Ways on the main road is very dangerous as someone dies there last year

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what you say but... If there was proper statistics we would know how and where the tragedy took place and learn from the stats...

Like we learnt from the weekends death that doing U-turns in the cradle with headphones on is not a good idea...

I also learnt that riding in 4 Ways on the main road is very dangerous as someone dies there last year

Bang on mate.

In fact riding to the cradle down Cedar on Sat and Sun mornings is also not such a  great idea as the taxis going to Diepsloot use it like a grand prix track as they are rushing back to get another fare. I have stopped doing that after one hairy morning which saw them very close to me.

Just a little change in habits can possibly save lives.

I would speculate that Cedar actually is now more dangerous as a double road as the space inside the yellow line was reduced from when it was a single with large shoulder. 

Dont ride there - its only a matter of time before  a taxi ploughs into a bunch at high speed. I hate saying this as well, but its likely to happen as we are the minority and there is no law enforcements. Take your bike out to the cradle and ride there.

By the same token the rights activists are going to say its their right to ride there - so lets get signs put up all over the place and let's get a bike shop to fund a giveaway or low price on tail lights.

Small things move the needle - not big things

If I may ask, is it safe for a female to cycle on her own on the weekends (obviously while there is daylight). Have there been any issues where people have been knocked off bikes to rob them? 

• 1 month later...

If I may ask, is it safe for a female to cycle on her own on the weekends (obviously while there is daylight). Have there been any issues where people have been knocked off bikes to rob them? 

Never heard about something like that but if i was in your shoes I would refrain from that idea.

Archived