Can we start a counter on the Bikehub of all the cyclists killed in a year?

Paul Ruinaard

However my mind set is informed by the living not the deceased in that the idea would be to remind people that cycling is dangerous and that you need to take measures to ensure your own safety and well being are protected every time you go out. Dont assume anything and always be aware of the risks of any actions.

If you are constantly reminded of the dangers of what you are doing - you are more likely to be careful.

I agree with all the other ideas around the support of the parties involved and the wall of remembrance which would be nice tie ins for this. I wasn't however focused on this.

My goal would be to make the current cycling community stop doing some of the things that would increase their chance of becoming a statistic and add the prevention agenda to their mindset. Cure is IMHO beyond our grasp.

As a cycling community (me included)  we are firmly and arrogantly persuaded of our "rights" to act in a way that places a lot of us in peril. If you changed the mindset from this sort of "its my right" to "be careful and be defensive" and dont end up a statistic we would possibly prevent some of the events that are claiming cyclists.

its pretty well covered already

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/166024-some-notes-and-positive-ideas-for-the-ppa-csa-to-implement/

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/165834-how-to-stop-the-cycling-carnage-on-sas-roads/

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/165923-what-is-the-ppa-doing/

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However my mind set is informed by the living not the deceased in that the idea would be to remind people that cycling is dangerous and that you need to take measures to ensure your own safety and well being are protected every time you go out. Dont assume anything and always be aware of the risks of any actions.

If you are constantly reminded of the dangers of what you are doing - you are more likely to be careful.

I agree with all the other ideas around the support of the parties involved and the wall of remembrance which would be nice tie ins for this. I wasn't however focused on this.

My goal would be to make the current cycling community stop doing some of the things that would increase their chance of becoming a statistic and add the prevention agenda to their mindset. Cure is IMHO beyond our grasp.

As a cycling community (me included)  we are firmly and arrogantly persuaded of our "rights" to act in a way that places a lot of us in peril. If you changed the mindset from this sort of "its my right" to "be careful and be defensive" and dont end up a statistic we would possibly prevent some of the events that are claiming cyclists.

Paul, I completely agree with your sentiment and do really believe your intention is excellent.

I just think there are better ways to do it.

I do really like the billboards and signs up all along main road currently in Cape Town. 

Pretty awesome initiative and it reaches the right people in real time. 

Lets rethink a counter and using the dead and look at maybe a 'Don't be a ****' campaign through life in general. The death toll is unfortunately indicative of peoples attitude towards everything these days, not just motorists, cyclists and road users.

How many people on motorbikes, cars,trucks,pedestrians................get killed on a daily basis?

The lawlessness on our roads is shocking, so easy to loose your life because of the stupidity and recklessness of others

I have just been a victim of careless driving. I was involved in a hit and run opposite the garden village soccer field yesterday which took place at about 18:20. A guy in a white MK1 golf stops as he wants to turn left into a side road and sees me oncomming in the opposite direction . I have no idea what possesed this bufoon but as i approach (doing about 28kph on mtb) he decides he can no longer wait and turns in , at this time i am about less than 10m away from him. he tries to do it fast , i locked up my back wheel and squeezed the front brake lever hard as i tried to swerve slightly and i try to go around him. Too little too late , i cant really remember everything but i think his back bumper just clipped my front wheel and that sent my flying as the bike and i did a summersault and i landed hard on my left shoulder and face. Luckily a pinewatch car was behind the driver and saw everything that happened . I am really grateful for their assistance as they picked up my bike and called the ambulance. Big thanks to a cyclist passing by in a Scott Addict 20 (Sorry i forgot your name). This super hero asked where i lived and if anyone was home . He then did a 2km sprint to my house and notified my dad of what had just happened. Medics came to the scene. My dad then arrived and took me to the hospital up the road. Few Xrays and exams later sees me suffering from bruised tendons in my shoulder due to impact and landing. swelling to my chin and face. Muscle bruises and numbness in my left arm due to impact and swelling on some nerve running along my shoulder. A fractured finger and a few shiners.

OH DID I FORGET TO MENTION THE DRIVER DROVE AWAY?????

Pinewatch did not get registration number as they were more concerned with my well-being than the driver. I am however going to Maitland SAPS this morning to make a statement.

I am very grateful to everyone who assisted me yesterday. Doc says i should return in 10 days for an exam on my shoulder. My left arm is currently in a sling and my finger taped up. The fracture in my finger should take atleast 4 weeks to heal he says. I am very very lucky as it couldve been much worse.

There goes my training for my first CTCT along with my target time of sub4 (first timer).

Motorists really need to consider us bikes on the road as well as the consequences of their impatience. Had the driver just waited for me to past which wouldve taken about 2 seconds. Everything wouldve been avoided.

Edited by AmirL

everyday on the hub...

cyclist down...

hit and run...

RIP...

cyclist robbed...

danger areas...

it is becoming depressing just opening the hub home page.

could it be that we are not burning enough cars...buildings or throwing rocks at passing vehicles?

Hectic AmirL. Sorry to hear about your incident. Hope you recover fast. 

Edited by EmJayZA

On another note - while lane splitting this morning on the M5 towards town (on motorcycle at responsible speed) - I was passed by a cyclist! - Not sure if I should have been impressed about his effort or concerned around the inappropriateness or stupidity of his actions.

To each his own i guess .

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: I would've loved to see that, I think I passed the guy at the Kenilworth turnoff.

I have just been a victim of careless driving. I was involved in a hit and run opposite the garden village soccer field yesterday which took place at about 18:20. A guy in a white MK1 golf stops as he wants to turn left into a side road and sees me oncomming in the opposite direction . I have no idea what possesed this bufoon but as i approach (doing about 28kph on mtb) he decides he can no longer wait and turns in , at this time i am about less than 10m away from him. he tries to do it fast , i locked up my back wheel and squeezed the front brake lever hard as i tried to swerve slightly and i try to go around him. Too little too late , i cant really remember everything but i think his back bumper just clipped my front wheel and that sent my flying as the bike and i did a summersault and i landed hard on my left shoulder and face. Luckily a pinewatch car was behind the driver and saw everything that happened . I am really grateful for their assistance as they picked up my bike and called the ambulance. Big thanks to a cyclist passing by in a Scott Addict 20 (Sorry i forgot your name). This super hero asked where i lived and if anyone was home . He then did a 2km sprint to my house and notified my dad of what had just happened. Medics came to the scene. My dad then arrived and took me to the hospital up the road. Few Xrays and exams later sees me suffering from bruised tendons in my shoulder due to impact and landing. swelling to my chin and face. Muscle bruises and numbness in my left arm due to impact and swelling on some nerve running along my shoulder. A fractured finger and a few shiners.

OH DID I FORGET TO MENTION THE DRIVER DROVE AWAY?????

Pinewatch did not get registration number as they were more concerned with my well-being than the driver. I am however going to Maitland SAPS this morning to make a statement.

I am very grateful to everyone who assisted me yesterday. Doc says i should return in 10 days for an exam on my shoulder. My left arm is currently in a sling and my finger taped up. The fracture in my finger should take atleast 4 weeks to heal he says. I am very very lucky as it couldve been much worse.

There goes my training for my first CTCT along with my target time of sub4 (first timer).

Motorists really need to consider us bikes on the road as well as the consequences of their impatience. Had the driver just waited for me to past which wouldve taken about 2 seconds. Everything wouldve been avoided.

Hectic, glad you're OK AmirL, bleak on missing CTCT too, been there breaking my arm badly before CTCT 2013 although that "not so hot dismount" was entirely my fault :P

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: I would've loved to see that, I think I passed the guy at the Kenilworth turnoff.

There was another one this morning! in the middle of the M5!

There was another one this morning! in the middle of the M5!

It's funny until he gets hit by a car and killed... Then it is all anger and 'how do we stop this carnage on our roads' all over again.

Riding on the highway is illegal and stupid. Flagrant disregard for traffic laws and safety for both himself as well as the trauma of whoever eventually takes him out.

As so many guys have said previously in other threads, respect and courtesy are a 2 way street. Riding on the M5 is just as bad as skipping lights and riding round barriers and over Chappies when it is clearly closed.....  :ph34r:

The difficulty I see in keeping tabs on the hub is that only a very small percentage of cyclist incidents make these pages. It is generally when it is a recreational cyclist out with other recreational cyclists. Hardly ever the unknown commuter hit on the rural road that make up the vast majority of deaths in official statistics.

On AVERAGE 48 EVERY day of the year.

Faark me.

Its that Faark me moment we need to drive home.

There are two types of doing in this regard:

1.) Do things that raise awareness generally

2.) Do things that protect yourself from becoming another statistic.

Really this is beyond a joke. I agree - every Monday i open the hub with morbid fascination to look for the cyclist down/killed posts that are becoming so regular. Then the flow of condolences. 

Am i the only one that thinks this is crazy.

There has to be something else that allows us to grow the amount of people that are acting in a way that you are doing what you enjoy and have a great chance of returning home. Not just mourning those who were unlucky....

I mean the one solution is to just not open the hub till Wednesday when all the posts for the dead cyclists have died down and keep your head in the sand cause if you acknowledge what is happening you wouldn't ever ride again.

Rant off