chain slip on heavy gear, Solution?

Gitfo

Gi there so i got a 3x10 shimano setup and when im on the heavy gears "for speed" on the back 3 lowest. if i put to much power thru the pedals the chain "jumps/slip".

front gears doean't make a diffrence i tested. gear 4-10 at the back i can put as much pressure as i want and it doesnt jump.

I replaced the Hub to an XT hub which didnt solve the issue, replaced the chain and serviced the rear cassette myself very decently and still happens.

What i heard is a stretched chain or a worn cassette could be the cause but the rear cassette isnt that worned out. Should i replace the rear cassette and new chain to solve this or anyone have any advice on this.

its a mountain bike with deore and xt geoup sets

I had the same issue and it was caused by alignment of derailleur , mine happened in easiest gear up serious climbs , I also turned on clutch , not sure if it assisted to solve the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I mean it's probably jumping because its a new chain on an old cassette.

If you watch the chain while peddling you should see that the chain doesn't engage properly.

Replace the cassette and chain together. Then check your chain for wear regularly and replace before completely worn.

You should be able to get a few chains out of one cassette

shifting gears is smooth and when i peddal in those gears on flat parts there is no jumping or chain trying to move to another gear. its only when i pit power down on thise 3 that it jumps.

@seven i did watch the chain while peddaling at verious intensities by having a buddy record the rear cassette but it does engage properly. did have it al my "LBS" and they said there nothing wrong...

not much help. I think ill replace bouth and reindex derailer to ear perfectness

shifting gears is smooth and when i peddal in those gears on flat parts there is no jumping or chain trying to move to another gear. its only when i pit power down on thise 3 that it jumps.

@seven i did watch the chain while peddaling at verious intensities by having a buddy record the rear cassette but it does engage properly. did have it al my "LBS" and they said there nothing wrong...

not much help. I think ill replace bouth and reindex derailer to ear perfectness

Gi there so i got a 3x10 shimano setup and when im on the heavy gears "for speed" on the back 3 lowest. if i put to much power thru the pedals the chain "jumps/slip".

front gears doean't make a diffrence i tested. gear 4-10 at the back i can put as much pressure as i want and it doesnt jump.

I replaced the Hub to an XT hub which didnt solve the issue, replaced the chain and serviced the rear cassette myself very decently and still happens.

What i heard is a stretched chain or a worn cassette could be the cause but the rear cassette isnt that worned out. Should i replace the rear cassette and new chain to solve this or anyone have any advice on this.

its a mountain bike with deore and xt geoup sets

I've got an XT cassette with good of its life left pm me if you decide to replace

Shot. Only trying to come up with some suggestions that might help.

If you replaced the chain and not the cassette then to my kind even though the cassette appears to be good it would need to be replaced. This has been my experience anyway .... I had exactly the same symptoms! Works fine when not putting big pressure but the minute you do it skips and jumps ...

Front chain rings worn can also cause chain slip. Borrow a similar wheel from a mate to rule this out.

It is probably the cassette. Using a worn chain on a cassette would wreck it within a few months. It will be the gears that you use most often that are wrecked.

The small gears slip more easily than the big ones simply because fewer teeth on them.

They also wear faster than bigger ones because your weight is distributed over fewer points of contact when you pedal hard on them.

If the chain or teeth are worn, slippage happens easier and even more so if you fit new chain to worn cassette or vice versa.

There are other issues can exacerbate chain slip...

- chain wrap - make sure the B screw on RD is correctly set to give the correct clearance from cog to pulley wheel. This ensures the chain is wrapped around as many teeth as possible.

- chainline. If the chainline is too far inboard at the front then the chain may contact the pick-up ramps on the next biggest cog and try to jump up. This can also happen if the shifter is too tight.

Post a pic or two of your cassette so we can see the teeth.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk