[Event] Eroica South Africa

Stan Engelbrecht

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I of course read this thread title completely wrong.

When i got home from doing the first one, I was wearing the black Eroica T-shirt. My wife gave me one look and said: What kind of a bike race calls itself Erotica?"  :D

When i got home from doing the first one, I was wearing the black Eroica T-shirt. My wife gave me one look and said: What kind of a bike race calls itself Erotica?"  :D

Good - so it's not just me! 

Hope no offence caused to Stan and co but here is my observations.

My wife, Olffie1, Eppie and I did the 140 in the first Eroica SA in 2016. It was lots of fun but a full days riding arriving back in Montagu at about 17:00.

My gripe was that the route wasn't well marked (apparently signs were stolen) and some guys got lost. Distances between water points are far apart and due to the heat you need to carry enough water or fill up along the way. Back markers complained that volunteers had left stations because of the long wait after the faster riders had passed. Eppie and his brother were dehydrated after suffering some mechanical issues.

Most of the food and drink stalls had already packed up by the time we finished and there wasn't anyone in the street welcoming riders home. This year a few mates went out of our way to get one the street to welcome the last few riders. I know they appreciated the cheer.

This year we did the 90 and found the ride more enjoyable as the event seemed to cater for this sector of the riders better. Lots of food and drink including brandy. This leg has the most riders, many of them from the L e'Eroica organising party and friends.

Again some guys got lost on the 140 this year with Eppie and one or two others doing another 30km? detour which made for an extremely long day.

I would preferred to see the 140 riders set off an hour earlier at 07:00.

For 2018 I will ride the 140km again! As Eddy said no pain, no gain. The more riders on this route will add to the fun.