Biltong

AlanD

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@AlanD how did the drying of the big pieces go in the UK?

I just had the last of my chili biltong which I hung Friday. Will post some pics next time. 

I changed my approach to the cut and style of the meat a bit, buy chunks of silverside "roast" (same price as the slices but the naming confused the butcher when I asked for a piece of silverside to cut biltong from). I cut wider pieces around 1 cm thick, so basically wide thin pieces, makes for good chomping if you cut them 5mm-10mm wide. Also it dries to my liking in 48 hours!

@AlanD how did the drying of the big pieces go in the UK?

I just had the last of my chili biltong which I hung Friday. Will post some pics next time.

I changed my approach to the cut and style of the meat a bit, buy chunks of silverside "roast" (same price as the slices but the naming confused the butcher when I asked for a piece of silverside to cut biltong from). I cut wider pieces around 1 cm thick, so basically wide thin pieces, makes for good chomping if you cut them 5mm-10mm wide. Also it dries to my liking in 48 hours!

The drying went quite well to my surprise. It took a day longer but it never got any mould or anything which pleased me. I did use the light bulb which might have helped.

I went to a Butcher in Rotherham month end and asked if they had silverside, he asked me if i wanted to make biltong from it.....excellent. Cut me some pieces that were really thin, too thin i thought but turned out ok as cut it into small pieces when dried amd was lekker, although dis dry quickly as a little drier than what i was used to

Hi Guys,

I am over here in Mumbai. can someone please send me a care package of some biltong oros and ouma beskuit??

please.ek vra mooi. 

Hi Guys,

I am over here in Mumbai. can someone please send me a care package of some biltong oros and ouma beskuit??

please.ek vra mooi.

I tell you what, i wont be buying those products again as it ist moor expensive here...eih...will.have to search for a close alternative...is there??

I tell you what, i wont be buying those products again as it ist moor expensive here...eih...will.have to search for a close alternative...is there??

Tang, water buffalo, and tea biscuits :thumbdown:

How's this for crazy prices..... Can't wait till my drier arrives

€100 per kg!

edit... Love how it's advertised as health food!

5d70cc9badcb0b559f10e7e8618a1ff9.jpg

Edited by Stretch

How's this for crazy prices..... Can't wait till my drier arrives

€100 per kg!

edit... Love how it's advertised as health food!

5d70cc9badcb0b559f10e7e8618a1ff9.jpg

and it probably tastes k@k

• 3 months later...

Biltong maker arrived this week with all our other stuff... Not sure where I am going to put it... But guess what I will be doing this weekend.

This will be the first time I am doing my own spicing. I bought a spice pack before I left and that's in with the maker.. But what's the consensus with vinegar. A mix between white and black or balsamic.. Or just white? What's the best time to leave it soaking...2 hours 6 hours 12 hours?

Biltong maker arrived this week with all our other stuff... Not sure where I am going to put it... But guess what I will be doing this weekend.

This will be the first time I am doing my own spicing. I bought a spice pack before I left and that's in with the maker.. But what's the consensus with vinegar. A mix between white and black or balsamic.. Or just white? What's the best time to leave it soaking...2 hours 6 hours 12 hours?

I prefer pure brown vinegar. Just rinse the meat in it. Still wet with vinegar lay the meat out and spice. 

I haven't tried the balsamic yet, may be an interesting experiment.

I prefer pure brown vinegar. Just rinse the meat in it. Still wet with vinegar lay the meat out and spice.

I haven't tried the balsamic yet, may be an interesting experiment.

Perfect... No experimenting now... Its been 5 months since I had biltong...I am not making something inedible..lol... Straight Brown vinega tonight it shall be then

Perfect... No experimenting now... Its been 5 months since I had biltong...I am not making something inedible..lol... Straight Brown vinega tonight it shall be then

Here's my original recipe post:

Have a look at a few of the earlier posts. I went shopping at after 5pm and ended up with Woolworths Biltong spice, VERY nice indeed!!!

Short version, mix brown vinegar and worchester sauce 1 tot 1. Light drizzle across the meat and a light coating of spices. Let stand for 2 hours. remove excess sauce, and let the meat marinade overnight in a bowl (make sure a bit of sauce remains and that the meat is spiced all round). Hang the next morning. Allow 2-3 days to dry.

6kg, the biggest load I've done to date. post-113387-0-10633700-1516976636_thumb.jpg

The piddly PC fan didn't cut it so I had improvise. Worked like a bomb.post-113387-0-32529200-1516976797_thumb.jpg

Edit typo and weight. There are 6kg wet not 4.

Edited by Rata-tat-tat

Oh how I miss SA butchers. Dutch butchers don't use English cuts and they see fat as the enemy so all meat in the butchers is lean. Anyone have a good recipe for drywors? In NL beef sausage is a rarity the locals preferring the piggy. My local butcher has agreed to make me some wors but only if I order at least 8kg so I want to get it right.