Biltong

AlanD

Have been making my own biltong for the last few months and its been awsome. The very first batch didn't come out too great but the batches after that have been delicious.

This batch has been the staple chili bites with one first time bbq slab.

My recipe for the chili is as follows:

Apple cider vinegar

Crown National chilli spice

Peri Peri spice

Worcester sauce

Pepper

Cumin

Let soak for a few hours and then hang. Important to drain off the excess vinegar or else its too much and only a little bit to coat the meat.

I tried a lemon pepper once but it didn't come out too great so sticking to the chilli for now.

Anyone have any good recipes to try?

post-57045-0-08238500-1488216893_thumb.jpg

post-57045-0-21194200-1488216913_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlanD

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I need to get myself one of those driers. I see PNP sells pre soaked and spiced meat.. Good for those wanting to get into it slowly I guess

Lol...i know, im low on Oros.

This is the melleware one and its cool as it comes with trays to also dry fruit and stuffs on.

I don't like it too fancy. (chilli & perri-perri too much for me)

But that souds about right

Overnight in vinegar is the important part, that's what my father always told me

The only reason i add in a little peri peri is because the chili spice is not hot at all. It comes out rather mild, only a little bite to it.

Your Dad was right but its important to drain the excess vinegar or else it will not be lekker.

Alan D. Good work dude. Quick question. What is your yield? How much tong are you coming out the other side with after hanging?

2kg wet = ?

Got one of those Mellerware jobbies for $100 off of Trade Me; works very well. Just use the Crown National spice, vinegar overnight, rinse the vinegar off in the morning under the tap, respice and hang. Excellent tong.

Typically use silverside; have also used schnitzel and will be doing a few sirloin steaks soon (got half a cow from a mate the other day, so no shortage of beef to try out). Also done some venison, with several mates who hunt, there is also no shortage of that to stick in the biltong box.

Haven't bothered to check for yield, all I know is a load lasts for like 2 days and I need to start the process again. And I go through a lot of dental floss in those 2 days. And become more popular than normal, if that's even possible.

Any recommendations for other cuts which will go well?

Looking good AlanD!!! With the price of biltong these days I'm seriously considering getting myself a dryer like this!

Would you say it's worth it going for the one with the light bulb fixture, or is a cheapy with only a fan sufficient?

Also where do you buy your meat? Local butchery of PnP?

Looking good AlanD!!! With the price of biltong these days I'm seriously considering getting myself a dryer like this!

Would you say it's worth it going for the one with the light bulb fixture, or is a cheapy with only a fan sufficient?

Also where do you buy your meat? Local butchery of PnP?

It is so worth it and rewarding to make your own and so simple too. Mine came with a fan and a bulb but I don't even use the bulb, just the fan and takes about 4 days to dry. I like it a little wet in the middle. These things are so simple that you could even make your own by using a computer fan and some plastic panels but I just bought one. The one I have has trays to dry fruit on also so that makes it quite versatile.

I buy my meat from the local butcher as they have precut pieces specific for biltong making. I use silverside. Those 4 slabs cost me about R165 but cant recall the kilograms of the meat but it sure is far cheaper than buying biltong.

I have been making my own for a few years now. I have one of the Biltong Master driers and it works like a treat. I use silverside or topside I started out trying to mix my own spices but once I discovered 'Hunters Biltong Seasoning' from Freddy Hirsch I never looked back, sometimes I add some chilli powder or flakes to give it a bit of heat but its great either way.

http://www.freddyhirsch.co.za/ingredients/listing/8

The yield can be as much as 50% of the starting weight depending upon how dry you like it. It's not the cheapest, but I prefer my biltong to that sold in the local shops.

Also been making my own for a while. Got that same biltong dryer. It's a little small but at least it prevents me from making tons of it and chowing only biltong for a week. When ever we go on holiday that we drive to, we make a few batches before and then chow it while away. I also use the crown national spices. I use a mixture of their safari and chili bite. I go to my local butcher and buy a big cut of silverside. I prefer thin sticks as its easier for eating while driving(no knife needed). I also have to make a "bland" batch for the baby as he loves it just as much as us. I think the method for making biltong is pretty standard, If it aint broke don't fix it.

Also been making my own for a while. Got that same biltong dryer. It's a little small but at least it prevents me from making tons of it and chowing only biltong for a week. When ever we go on holiday that we drive to, we make a few batches before and then chow it while away. I also use the crown national spices. I use a mixture of their safari and chili bite. I go to my local butcher and buy a big cut of silverside. I prefer thin sticks as its easier for eating while driving(no knife needed). I also have to make a "bland" batch for the baby as he loves it just as much as us. I think the method for making biltong is pretty standard, If it aint broke don't fix it.

That is the problem with making your own and having it readily available, you eat it like a ravishing cannibal and before know it, it's all gone in a week or two..lol. Ah yes, need to make a bland one for the baby to gum on when teething.