The safest place to train in Gauteng

20080519_034803_Power_and_train.JPG

Every Thursday evening from 6pm to 8pm you can come and play in complete safety at Pilditch velodrome. Hone your bike handling and sprinting skills. Test out your power on our SRM powermeter and chat to like-minded cyclists. There's even a roller skating rink to keep your kids entertained.

You'll find Pilditch next to the Pretoria West Showgrounds, entry on Maltzan St just off Church St. See you there!Smile

GNCTrack2008-05-19 04:22:50

GNCTrack' date='will there be organized racing or do you do your own thing?

[/quote']

Depending upon how many people we have at the training you can either do your own thing or we will break it up into different categories as the evening goes on.

We hadn't planned to have formal racing during the winter - instead you can do the winter league at Hector Norris on Saturday (2pm to 4pm).

It's a bit difficult riding a road bike at Pilditch - the bottom bracket is too low so the pedals keep hitting the banking. We have track bikes that you can borrow - bring your own pedals and riding gear.

If we get enough roadies then we may open a special time slot for them - but they'll have to ride over 30kph in order to stay upright!

The cost is R10 and that covers the flood lights and a 5min power test on the SRM if you want it.

Is this only for track riders?

Costs involved?

Let me re-phrase, only for experienced track riders, or is there place for newbies aswell.

Thanks, I see I aready have my answer

Let me re-phrase, only for experienced track riders, or is there place for newbies aswell.

You raise an interesting point Fork-it. In South Africa there are very few genuinely experienced track riders. Instead, most of us have spent some time on the track figuring out what it takes to go faster.

There are only a few simple tricks, like don't go too slow in the banking or you'll slide off, and hold a straight line when someone is trying to pass. Otherwise, it's just good quality training.

I must warn you though, if you don't know what lactic acid is you're going to find out real quick! Newbies always welcome.
GNCTrack2008-05-19 05:15:29