Build or Buy?

Equity

Hi Guys

After a very late Sub entry into the Argus, and not being very successful trying to rent or borrow a bike.

I have cleared up some funds and I have around R8000 to spend on a road bike.

Do you think I could get a better deal if I buy parts and build it myself, or should I be looking at a complete bike?

I used to ride many moons ago, and I have been keeping up to date with Tech and prices.

At the end of the day

I am looking for a 56cm

105 or Ultegra (pushing my luck perhaps) 10 speed groupset. (compact if I could choose)

with a reliable/good set of wheels

And all of this before the argus?

Thought and guidance would be appreciated

Thanks

Classifieds  

Sorry, Maybe i wasn't very clear.

I am looking in classifieds, but should I buy components, or a complete bike?

Putting a build together from second hand parts will be a struggle before Sunday week.

You could maybe do it a bit cheaper if you had time and patience but if you are short of a few bits and bobs and have to buy them new you will blow your budget.  I think a complete bike is the only option now, maybe with an upgrade or two.

Putting a build together from second hand parts will be a struggle before Sunday week.

You could maybe do it a bit cheaper if you had time and patience but if you are short of a few bits and bobs and have to buy them new you will blow your budget.  I think a complete bike is the only option now, maybe with an upgrade or two.

Agreed. If you had the time, the build route is definitely a better option as you can customize your bike accordingly.

*Edit: Something like this would be perfect: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/233897-specialized-tarmac-pro/

With Argus around the corner don't even think about building. Its silly. 

You'll probably end up paying more anyways. You'll also spend time throwing the bike together and driving around trying to source all the parts. That's assuming you get everything locally. And if you're not the most hands on guy. Good luck getting your bike sorted at any lbs a week before Argus. Then there's probably little things you tend to overlook and/or problems you did not expect. Take it from someone who is always busy building something. Forget it. Stick to the classifieds for a good deal on a complete bike. If you find one. Use whatever time you have left to make sure its race ready.

Pffft....

All these naysayers.

With a strict budget and the right buys you can source and build a bike and be on the road by the weekend!

A road group set will likely blow your budget though so I would suggest looking at a complete bike.

There are a couple of really cool old steel bikes for around that price with modern gen STi's which would make a really cool ride.

Good luck

Pffft....

All these naysayers.

With a strict budget and the right buys you can source and build a bike and be on the road by the weekend!

Haha! That's the spirit. We need more of that kind of enthusiasm around here.

@Equity. What you're proposing isn't impossible. Its just highly improbable.

But if you're up for a grueling challenge. 

Building a bike with a limited budget a week before Argus sounds like a recipe for some good reality TV.

I'd say buy a second hand bike of you can find one in your budget. You'll get a better deal than building up one from parts sourced bit by bit. In the timeframe you've got it's going to be hard to source the parts you want. I love a build but in this case I'd get the whole thing and then spend time tweaking, fitting, replacing cables and servicing.

Oh if you want to borrow a 'classic' then I've got a Bianchi in George that needs picking up. If you're heading down that way before the Argus then it's yours for the big day. ;)

For just over R8500 you can get a brand new Giant SCR. Yes it's not 105 but it's brand spanking new. That's what I would do. I know there are Merida's in the same price range.

Betting 8k on a 2nd hand bike 1 week before CTCT? 

It's going to end in the sweepers truck.

I'd say buy a second hand bike of you can find one in your budget. You'll get a better deal than building up one from parts sourced bit by bit. In the timeframe you've got it's going to be hard to source the parts you want. I love a build but in this case I'd get the whole thing and then spend time tweaking, fitting, replacing cables and servicing.

Oh if you want to borrow a 'classic' then I've got a Bianchi in George that needs picking up. If you're heading down that way before the Argus then it's yours for the big day. ;)

Thanks ... I should take a bus and then ride it back to get some training in.

Thanks though. Appreciate the offer.

Hi Guys

After a very late Sub entry into the Argus, and not being very successful trying to rent or borrow a bike.

I have cleared up some funds and I have around R8000 to spend on a road bike.

Do you think I could get a better deal if I buy parts and build it myself, or should I be looking at a complete bike?

I used to ride many moons ago, and I have been keeping up to date with Tech and prices.

At the end of the day

I am looking for a 56cm

105 or Ultegra (pushing my luck perhaps) 10 speed groupset. (compact if I could choose)

with a reliable/good set of wheels

And all of this before the argus?

Thought and guidance would be appreciated

Thanks

buy a bike. You can even look on gumtree, olx also. To build one now before argus is not a good idea. You might know all the tech stuff bit when last did ride a bike nevermind did rltech stuff. Keeping uo to date on prices and what tech is not the same as working with the tech. You are also gonna have to learn how to ride the bike again. Learn gears, how to brake, balance etc. Thats gonna take you a few days. Buy a bike and rather spend time left practicing yout skill. I started cycling again oct last year. Took me a week just to get balance back. Another 2 months to get used to shifting the right way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived