Hollowtech II BB Tool Pretoria

bertusras

I own the park tool and it's not great. The surface and diameter of the plastic disk makes it difficult to grip and apply sufficient tourgue. I think the ICE tool would work better.

If you're torquing it more than finger tight you're doing it wrong. That's why the tool is designed like that.

I own the park tool and it's not great. The surface and diameter of the plastic disk makes it difficult to grip and apply sufficient tourgue. I think the ICE tool would work better.

The plastic piece for tightening the retaining cap is meant to be tightened by hand only....max about 2Nm. It simply takes up longitudinal free play of the crank shaft in BB. You need to do this before tightening the crank arm clamp bolts. The clamp bolts compress the plastic retaining cap and fix it in place.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm not sure when Shimano changed the size of the (external) threaded BB's, but I got a plastic ring in my last purchase that fits inside the BB tool. The outside diameter of the BB is smaller than the older versions.

4bd71e7c2af6bcc34ec76b2343a74ab7.jpg

6063d3adf6e874cb7de2224be7eb2d71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by geraldm24

I'm not sure when Shimano changed the size of the (external) threaded BB's, but I got a plastic ring in my last purchase that fits inside the BB tool. The outside diameter of the BB is smaller than the older versions.

4bd71e7c2af6bcc34ec76b2343a74ab7.jpg

6063d3adf6e874cb7de2224be7eb2d71.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That must be one of the worst things Shimano did.

Okay you shave 10 grams off a BB, but still like the old BB size.

If anyone needs to borrow, I have one and stay in the East of Pretoria, Shere or near Silverlakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That must be one of the worst things Shimano did.

Okay you shave 10 grams off a BB, but still like the old BB size.

If anyone needs to borrow, I have one and stay in the East of Pretoria, Shere or near Silverlakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On my Ritchey, the BB fits perfectly (both frame and BB are the same OD.

However, on my Schwinn, the new BB is smaller that the frame so it shows part of the machined surface.

• 2 weeks later...

On my Ritchey, the BB fits perfectly (both frame and BB are the same OD.

However, on my Schwinn, the new BB is smaller that the frame so it shows part of the machined surface.

Same on the Commencal.

Looks uncompleted to be honest. Still like the older look of the BOLDER more rugged look of the old BB.

Starting to look for the older shape BB to attempt to get a better look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro