How to properly use Cadence Nutrition

I would like to ride the Argus this year using Cadence Nutrion(I'm assuming they'll be at the expo; please correct me if I'm wrong)- I've heard a few good things about them, and it's always nice to support a company that's willing to debate on the Hub...

I've seen they're chart of using it correctly, and would like to know a bit more.

First off,I'd like to do a 3:30 Argus. I don't want to stop(do you racing guys even do that???) to refeul, so everything that I want to consume I'll have to take with me.

I'm taking two 750ml water bottles.

So, my question is: What gels, and bars do I need to get, when do I use them, and what do I put in my water bottles, and when do I drink?

As you can tell, I've never really raced before, and this'll be my first race without stopping. Thanks in advance!

Here's the chart for reference:

post-86802-0-59928400-1488799449_thumb.jpg

First bottle Marathon

Second bottle CarboFuel

3-4 gels 

Edited by jcza

Golden rule: don't try anything new on race day... just saying  ;)

Even if it is Cadence, who seem pretty legit as far as nutrition companies go  :D

Indeed... But I'll be trying something new anyway-even if it's Powerade; so I haven't got much to lose...

Indeed... But I'll be trying something new anyway-even if it's Powerade; so I haven't got much to lose...

Well, better Cadence than Powerade I guess... good luck, hope your stomach stands up to the task  :thumbup:

Best strategy would be 750ml marathon and 750ml carbofuel. Take along 1 bar and 4 gels.

Drink the marathon first for 90min then switch.

Gels at the end of each hour and 1 in reserve.

Bar at halfway point.

However, not having trained your gut you might not tolerate the carbohydrate load. In which case it would be better to leave out the bar (which will also be hardest to consume in the bunch).

Not sure I'm supposed to tell people to use less of our product but there you have it.

And I forgot to mention. That last gel is just in case you hit the wall and need emergency supplies.

What everyone else said. The best should have been to trained with what you want to use as fuel for the race, to see if it works for you and how your body reacts to it.

My very first race was the 94.7 in 2009 and in preparation for it I only trained on energy drinks and bananas. On race day I took a big packet of jelly babies with. I've heard that its a good source of energy. After about 30km I ate almost half of the packet and start feeling nauseas. I immediately stopped the jelly babies, but still felt uncomfortable until the end. The next race was a Rooiwal race prior to the 2010 Argus and there I tried Power Bar's power balls which also made me nauseas. After that I only use gels and energy drinks.

So from personal experience I would agree with the Doc to go steady on the carbs.

I would say that what is more important than what you take on the bike, is to have a solid breakfast about 2 hours before you start. I will have a decent bowl of oats with honey and nuts and one slice of bread with proper Nutella. I mean PROPER.

Best strategy would be 750ml marathon and 750ml carbofuel. Take along 1 bar and 4 gels.

Drink the marathon first for 90min then switch.

Gels at the end of each hour and 1 in reserve.

Bar at halfway point.

However, not having trained your gut you might not tolerate the carbohydrate load. In which case it would be better to leave out the bar (which will also be hardest to consume in the bunch).

Not sure I'm supposed to tell people to use less of our product but there you have it.

Thanks! Just to confirm-you guys are going to be at the expo?

Rounabout cost for a tub?

Thanks! Just to confirm-you guys are going to be at the expo?

Rounabout cost for a tub?

Carbofuel on special at CWC - R 149