Continental GP4000s II vs Gatorskins

devocean

Until recently I'd only ever used 23mm Gatorskins and swear by them in terms of puncture resistance (Maybe 3 punctures a year while racing and also commuting 32km every day 5 times a week in all weather).

Recently got some fold-able 25mm GP4000s II tyres and I'm not sure if it's just bad luck but I've had two punctures in the four times that I've used them. They're definitely softer than the Gatorskins so was wondering if they're more prone to punctures. Anybody opinions?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been running GP4000's for about three years - total punctures = one.

I'd say you've just had bad luck.

I far prefer the feel of the GP's over the Gators

you sacrificed a bit more protection for a faster rolling tyre

but they aren't that prone (in my tiny opinion ) I use gators on one wheel set and GPs on another

maybe it was just an unlucky few days or a really bad patch of road

yeah, I have been using gators for a while as well after having used the GP 4000 in the past. Put on a new set of GP4000s over the weekend and had two punctures on yesterday's ride, a buddy on same tyres also had one - so probably bad luck.

Think I'm going to go back to old faithful Gatorskins at 9 bar for the Argus. Can experiment another time!

yeah, I have been using gators for a while as well after having used the GP 4000 in the past. Put on a new set of GP4000s over the weekend and had two punctures on yesterday's ride, a buddy on same tyres also had one - so probably bad luck.

or the same patch of glass ^_^

sorry bro only pulling your leg that really sux :wacko:

Think I'm going to go back to old faithful Gatorskins at 9 bar for the Argus. Can experiment another time!

don't know what you weigh bro but that's way hard for gators

your kidneys must bleed on bumpy roads

don't know what you weigh bro but that's way hard for gators

your kidneys must bleed on bumpy roads

66kg on a scott addict. I know no better

Gators for training

GP4000s II for racing

I find the Michelin Endurance tyre a good balance

Decent rolling resistance vs great puncture protection. 

Also if you running on a lower psi the chances of getting a puncture is higher. 

Gators for training

GP4000s II for racing

Same with me.  In a race peleton I ride closer to the middle of the road where there is less chance of a puncture.  While training you are in the rubbish most of the time.  If I only had one wheelset I would opt for Gatorskins.  That said I have found the puncture resistance of the GP4000s' to be quite good.

Have ridden both and both held up really well.  For me who is a novice and not really that knowledgeable on tyres, there is not that much difference in the feel and roll of these two tyres.

Way too much pressure.

I think 8bar is max recommended on the tyre.

I have been getting alot of side wall cuts on the latest GP4000's

Nothing yet on the Gatorskin fitted training wheels after 4000km

Archived