Safety on Paarden Eiland Route

williamv

Hi guys

I will soon need to commute from Hout Bay to Northgate area.  Is there any update on the ongoing  security issues on the N1 cycle lane?

Hi guys

I will soon need to commute from Hout Bay to Northgate area.  Is there any update on the ongoing  security issues on the N1 cycle lane?

From what I know of the area, rather avoid it. There has been no amicable resolution, and CoCT seems not to care.

Hi guys

the N1 is the cycle lane

Have not had any problems.Just be careful.If you feel unsafe stop at a bus station and catch a ride to the next station.Section at the Lower Church St bridge where the homeless guys live has been fenced off.There is still a section of fence damaged between bridge and N1 underpass.Paarden Eiland CCID also patrol the bus route with Metro cops.

• 10 months later...

Have not had any problems.Just be careful.If you feel unsafe stop at a bus station and catch a ride to the next station.Section at the Lower Church St bridge where the homeless guys live has been fenced off.There is still a section of fence damaged between bridge and N1 underpass.Paarden Eiland CCID also patrol the bus route with Metro cops.

^^^ THIS

I might look like a twit with a bike on a bus, but getting to my destination safely is my #1 priority.

^^^ THIS

I might look like a twit with a bike on a bus, but getting to my destination safely is my #1 priority.

IIRC, the busses were intended to accomodate bicycles. But are there facilities/space for bikes? When i used the bus recently, it didn't seem like there was facility for bikes, eg hooks on the overhead handholds.

it's even getting dodge to ride the N1 (in or out) from woodstock. The amount of people living in the bushes/down by the fence or even under the bridge sometimes makes me feel uncomfortable enough already. Sucks

IIRC, the busses were intended to accomodate bicycles. But are there facilities/space for bikes? When i used the bus recently, it didn't seem like there was facility for bikes, eg hooks on the overhead handholds.

Bicycles are allowed, and the designated space is where the red flap down chairs are as you enter the bus.

Bicycles are allowed, and the designated space is where the red flap down chairs are as you enter the bus.

Thx Hairy. was thinking to take along my own hook and leash to attach it overhead. maybe i won't need to now.