Best Carbon Clinchers?

Patchelicious

Boras are the obvious choice, and thats the problem.... all Colnagos have Boras.

Also in my price bracket, Bora One 38s is what I can get, right here on the Hub.... Ultras are bit more.

So far it seems:

Bora One: R29k

Zipp 303: R30k

Corima 47- R30k

Corimas: http://capovelo.com/corima-s-47mm-carbon-clincher-wheelset-review/

My old man has these exact Mavics that he has never used, I am sure I can get them off of him for less than R20k, what you think? This is the exact frame and wheels. I think its also has that different braking surface, only thing stopping me is that they a tad deep.

What's your opinion on these Mavics?

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/FullSizeRender1_zpssxu9wqbx.jpg

Had a series of Mavic, mostly 50mm

Then Zipps

And returned back to my favourite wheel set, Mavic, with some 40mm

Those look like they are 50mm

Not so all-round and versatile.

Can definitely recommend the brand.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those Bora One 35's from Evans look like a great deal at the current exchange rate, with the ZAR dipping below 16 to the £.

Carbon, how much for those wheels you posted about? Ball park?

Under R15k but disc only and hubs are 6 bolt ISO only.

I like the 35/45 combo front/ back but just got in from a Chappies descent and nearly shat myself in some of the cross wind gusts.

FWIW though, I'd seriously consider importing through Light Bicycle / XMCarbonSpeed.

If you do decide to place a order i need 2 hoops asb tog!!

1st: Lightweight Mielenstein (out of price range and 50mm)

2nd: Boras ( obvious)

3rd: Cosmic Pro Carbon (new upgraded adhesives to withstand high braking temperatures).

post-13716-0-14916900-1488998004_thumb.jpg

post-13716-0-74774900-1488998017_thumb.jpg

post-13716-0-62514000-1488998039_thumb.jpg

post-13716-0-38518100-1488998061_thumb.jpg

Zipp 303 NSW back, and Zipp 202 NSW front.

A bit above your budget, and not sourced locally. 36K including import VAT at current exchange rates (from Bike24).

Shot thanks!!

What would you guys pay for these then? Mavic Cosmic SLR? They are 2013s but are unused. 1600g

They were more than R30k 2 years ago?

http://bicycleonlines.com/product_images/t/377/Mavic_Cosmic_Carbone_SLR_Clincher_Wheelset__82904_zoom.jpg

I would say 16-18k for these Mavic's. They are "old" tech and also the V shaped rim profile which apparently doesn't handle cross winds too well.

Also know of a few guys who have been experiencing problems with the spokes/nipples corroding on the older Mavic's. Mavic do repair them and sometimes replace the wheelset but its just a hassle going through all of this.

Mavic offer the option of trying the new wheels for a weekend before you buy, so check out if anyone in your area have them available.

Zipp 303 NSW back, and Zipp 202 NSW front.

A bit above your budget, and not sourced locally. 36K including import VAT at current exchange rates (from Bike24).

One of the problems with trying to buy SRAM stable kit from OS websites is that you cannot. SRAM amended their terms of trade internationally to stop dealers selling across borders. Most will not risk it.

1st: Lightweight Mielenstein (out of price range and 50mm)

2nd: Boras ( obvious)

3rd: Cosmic Pro Carbon (new upgraded adhesives to withstand high braking temperatures).

Agree except for no 3 which would be zipp for me

As I live in CT it needs to be a 35mm

I would say 16-18k for these Mavic's. They are "old" tech and also the V shaped rim profile which apparently doesn't handle cross winds too well.

Also know of a few guys who have been experiencing problems with the spokes/nipples corroding on the older Mavic's. Mavic do repair them and sometimes replace the wheelset but its just a hassle going through all of this.

Mavic offer the option of trying the new wheels for a weekend before you buy, so check out if anyone in your area have them available.

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought too.

I spoke to him, these are off the table, he says I must get "proper wheels" for my bike so changed his mind about selling them to me,.. dads and their tough love way.

Archived