Hip flexor issue when running

Dullscalpel

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok, I definitely don't want this issue!!!! I will definitely take it slow- but I find that I can't increase my distance much after 5kms because of the feeling in the flexor. Maybe that is my body saying, hold on! slow down!

There you go, you can see wherein your problem arises.

It's the overuse issue as your muscles & flexors are not use to that distance & efforts.

Take a lekker rest week, stretch alot and find a beginners running programme like Bonkers mentioned a few posts up...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok, I definitely don't want this issue!!!! I will definitely take it slow- but I find that I can't increase my distance much after 5kms because of the feeling in the flexor. Maybe that is my body saying, hold on! slow down!

You ever had a run gait assessment done? check your running stride, whether you are dropping your hips and if you are running in the correct shoes?  All can have an effect on your flexor especially as you try to increase distance which can put additional stress and over use on the flexor.

Would a couple swims be too much for a rest week (swimming doesn't feel like work for me, and I don't kick- just use the upper body)?

You ever had a run gait assessment done? check your running stride, whether you are dropping your hips and if you are running in the correct shoes?  All can have an effect on your flexor especially as you try to increase distance which can put additional stress and over use on the flexor.

Do you know of any places that offer this? I have never heard of this before so I don't know where to start

Would a couple swims be too much for a rest week (swimming doesn't feel like work for me, and I don't kick- just use the upper body)?

Not at all.

I think it would be beneficial for you. (Easy on the kicks)  ^_^

I have the same issue on the bike. Stretching these muscles is very difficult. Had some needles in yesterday, but its a difficult spot to hit as 3 muscles attached very closely.

from this I develop a sore knee every year. and then I'm off the bike for close to 6months comeback, over train, and then same issue :(

Do you know of any places that offer this? I have never heard of this before so I don't know where to start

Unfortunately am in Joburg, so do not know any places in Cape Town. A quick google came up with this http://www.biodynamicsinstitute.co.za/index

Perhaps someone in CT will be able to give better info

Else try the sweatshop http://www.thesweatshop.co.za/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=7 they should be able to tell you if you are running in the correct shoes

Oh no Dullscalpel :(

Signed up for any events? 

Only in September (need to get my PhD out of the way first), so I have time to fix the issue. Also, it is a sprint tri, so the burden is "less"

P.S your profile pic is super sexy :wub:

Unfortunately am in Joburg, so do not know any places in Cape Town. A quick google came up with this http://www.biodynamicsinstitute.co.za/index

Perhaps someone in CT will be able to give better info

Else try the sweatshop http://www.thesweatshop.co.za/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=7 they should be able to tell you if you are running in the correct shoes

Thanks! In my spare time I will follow this up

Only in September (need to get my PhD out of the way first), so I have time to fix the issue. Also, it is a sprint tri, so the burden is "less"

P.S your profile pic is super sexy :wub:

That's awesome. Lots of time to get the issues sorted, and train up slowly. I had quite a bad issue with my femoral nerve. It would get inflamed, and then I couldn't lift my leg or bend the knee. I do a lot of nerve flossing, and very specific stretches after running, and it came right. Swimming also seemed to help it recover. Hopefully you manage to come right. 

Thanks - love my girl too. Hubs wasn't too happy when I asked if she could share the bed.  :w00t:

That's awesome. Lots of time to get the issues sorted, and train up slowly. I had quite a bad issue with my femoral nerve. It would get inflamed, and then I couldn't lift my leg or bend the knee. I do a lot of nerve flossing, and very specific stretches after running, and it came right. Swimming also seemed to help it recover. Hopefully you manage to come right. 

Thanks - love my girl too. Hubs wasn't too happy when I asked if she could share the bed.  :w00t:

Get a new hubby then :P - he clearly doesn't appreciate bikes enough (kidding!). Once my husband got his bike, he finally understood it :lol:

Thanks for the advice. I am going to have to work on a better training schedule to fix this flexor up. More stretching and strength training!

By the way, femoral nerve = ouch!! Glad it came right!

There are many little muscles and tendons there and I am guessing here but: You probably have very strong quads and weak glutes this creates tension in the front of the hip, also let them chack your TFL and google a thing called gilmore's groin. 

Go to a good bio and see what they can do.   

• 2 weeks later...

My mate started running & because he saw his pace increasing along with his fitness, increased mileage to over 10-15km in very quick time.

Hip flexors gave way, had an op last year, & not able to run anymore.

Build slowly, gradually. Sort of like BASE training.

Also make sure you have the best/ right equipment. (Running shoes)

Just a heads up, this same mate of mines attempted to run 5km yesterday morning after almost a year & half of no running and post op, Hip gave way again with a slow 5km run! Ouch!

:thumbdown:

I partially tore my hip flexor at Epic. Was okish to ride, but hurt like hell to walk. While it's still busy healing, I am almost back to normal, yet the only time it does hurt is when I run. Stretches, core, icing and time are the only thing that will make better.

Just a heads up, this same mate of mines attempted to run 5km yesterday morning after almost a year & half of no running and post op, Hip gave way again with a slow 5km run! Ouch!

:thumbdown:

Wow! that is intense! And it's more motivation to sort out my hips!

I took a week off and (did one day of strength training and stretching) got onto the treadmill a week later. 2.5kms later and the hip started feeling sore so I stopped immediately. This past week has been somewhat of an impromptu rest week, but I am going to give the parkrun a try tomorrow. I am learning to listen to my body more, so as soon as the hip flexors start hurting, I stop. Going to work on a better training programme that includes more strength training and proper stretching (not just for the hip flexors)

Archived