Different Wheel sizes to Different Forks

WillemFolscher

Hi guys

This is a bit of a silly but I am tempted to just go ahead with the experiment anyway. 

Has anyone here ever fitter for example a 26inch wheel to a 29er fork? 

Curious to know what the outcome is and if it makes such a huge difference. 

Regards

Hi guys

This is a bit of a silly but I am tempted to just go ahead with the experiment anyway. 

Regards

Sure you can...anything goes on a Friday.

Just make sure you fit the biggest tyre you can find :thumbup:

Sure you can...anything goes on a Friday.

Just make sure you fit the biggest tyre you can find :thumbup:

Awesome - I like the vibe thank you 

Hi guys

Regards

YOu can do it, but it'll drop your front by ~0.75" (2cm) unless you go for a larger volume 26er tyre. 

If you're putting the niner fork on a sixer, that won't be a problem. But then that will raise the front of the sixer by those 2cm, which may upset the geo somewhat. Higher BB, more relaxed head angle & seat tube angle...

If you're putting a sixer wheel on a niner bike, the opposite will be true. You'll drop your BB by  lot, you'll steepen the head angle and seat tube anngle, and definitely upset the geo.

In short - it's not a clever idea. You can do it, but you really shouldn't. 

First option (Niner fork on  sixer) would result in a more favourable geo to the opposite, IMO. 

If you rode a chopper bicycle like i did in my youth you can ride anything..The manufacturers build the frame specifically for head angle to fork length and wheel size so a 3 inch difference will impact their calculations drastically...however you might really like the dragster look and how it handles Go on give it a go.

you will smack your crank and pedals on every bump you go over :wacko:

but hey why not its Friday ^_^

and make a video lol

and why?.....(really why?)

you will smack your crank and pedals on every bump you go over :wacko:

but hey why not its Friday ^_^

and make a video lol

and why?.....(really why?)

lol yeah - good point - my issue is I have a crappy SR Suntour shock at the front and it sucks and I want to change it but my options are limited if I just considder 26 inch forks so just wondered 

Rode my training bike like that for a while, the bike is a bit lower, few pedal strikes here and there. If you front tyre is a bit narrow and you have a slack front end it flip flops from side to side.. Took a 29er wheel and fitted it front and 26er back and it was much better, didn't even notice the rear smaller wheel. it was fun!

I don't know... however I managed to fit a 29er AC with Spez Ground Control Tyres 2.35" with about 1cm clearance between the tyre and the bridge of the fork lowers... never rode it like that though, but fitted it just to check if there might have been any issues.... oh sorry, forgot to mention that it was a 29er wheel and tyre on a 650b fox fork

Archived