The Jock Tour vs Panorama Tour

NordicElf

Which one is tougher?

The Jock Tour - 3 days - 304km - 7200m - "There is no tougher 3-day challenge on a road bike anywhere else on the African continent."

Panarama Tour - 4 days - 338km - 6120m - "The Toughest Race on Tar"

Have you done both? Can you compare a 3 day vs a 4 day? 

Which one is tougher?

The Jock Tour - 3 days - 304km - 7200m - "There is no tougher 3-day challenge on a road bike anywhere else on the African continent."

I have done the Jock, was tough. But really depends where and who you race with, the other riders make it tough. 

Had a lekker Jock, great 28km hill climb, some great climbing day 2 and a great final climb on day 3. 

Would love to do it again.

I can't say about either, but I will be doing my first Jock this year.

Stage by stage, the jock looks tougher. Less stages for a GC impact to be made.

30km less and nearly 1000m more climbing.

Which one is tougher?

Both of those statements are bull, false advertising.

Think I'll go fill out a few more ASA complaints.

Both of those statements are bull, false advertising.

Think I'll go fill out a few more ASA complaints.

It was the statements that prompted me to ask the question.

I'm signing up to do my first Jock tour... maybe next year I'll do the Panorama.

I've done 2x Jock Tours and 1x Panorama.

Difficult to compare i.t.o. toughness as the dynamics are not the same but I'll try give some pointers:

Route wise I would say it's roughly the same apart from the Jock starting with a hillclimb on day 1 and Panorama ending with a rolling hills 2-man TT with tired legs.  Same scenery, same vibe.

With Panorama being a 2 man team event it really comes down to your racing partner and how your fitness levels compare as you need to stay together.  You'll go into the red-zone in both cases as the stronger riders pushes/pulls the weaker riders.  Really one of the best road races I have done with a good mate.  Keep the spirit up and don't take it too seriously and it should be a lekker but brutal few days.  No pro team categories, mixed groups and even team sizes make it interesting.

Jock Tour is more like the normal racing, categories and dynamics that we are used to. Again, it is only as tough as the competition.

My experience was that Jock was ever so slightly more chilled between the hills as the stages are a bit longer than that of Panorama.  TT is on/over the limit in both cases and great fun although that last few km's of the Jock TT is a killer.

If I had to choose between them I'd probably go for Panorama (if you've got a racing partner of similar ability).  The open team category that Jock copied from TOGH creates another racing dynamic which is nice although I haven't raced in such.

Another major factor to consider is the entry fee, but that all depends on how much you like being shafted.

Ultimately you need to do both.

My 2c

I can't say about either, but I will be doing my first Jock this year.

Stage by stage, the jock looks tougher. Less stages for a GC impact to be made.

30km less and nearly 1000m more climbing.

Good luck with Jock.

1 Tip:  Never ever trust any route profile from the Jock organizers for any of their events, rather go onto strava and do the homework yourself.  They generally inflate the climbing numbers and have no clue on calculating gradients.  Also the route stickers may contain vertical walls and some non-existent hills. :-)

I did both last year and found The Jock much tougher and I preferred the route, but as others have said, it really depends on your partner (for Panorama) and who turns up for the races.

Both are great road events but keep in mind there are no road closures which does put some people off.

Edited by Cylon

Clover (and Mpumalanga) both tougher - and good value.

Didn't know about this one. Here is a link for anyone else interested: http://www.hatoere.co.za/index.php/events/2017-events/44-clover-lowveld-tour-2017

It has a new route but it sounds like it will still be tough. Has a time trial and a criterium, over 4 days, sounds like it has a bit of everything and really good value for money. Still going through the docs.

Hmmm been wanting to do the Jock since last year but this is very appealing too.