Best bike on my budget?

MaddyJ

How tall are you?

I am 186cm. I have gone to 2 shops now and advised a large frame is for me

Hi Guys :)

New here and soon to be riding!

I would like to purchase a bike for general trail riding with friends/family.

I have done some research and come across 3 bikes. Needing everyones opinions on which would be better.

Silverback Spectra Sport R6500

Momsen AL029 R7000

GT karakoram sport R7500

Out of all of these, it seems the silverback has the better forks and the same general quality components as the competing Momsen and GT, although cheaper. I think the silverback spectra comp comes with air forks at the same price as the GT.

So... Which one? :)

Bummer I only read your thread now Cycle Lab were running some crazy specials think they had the sola 4 with air shock going for 7.5k

I would also suggest as others here have that you look at 2nd hand, avoid anywhere other than the hub when going that route.

Good luck and happy hunting

I am 186cm. I have gone to 2 shops now and advised a large frame is for me

Definitely a large then. That Axis seems pretty well specced for the price!

Disagree on the buy second hand advice.

Unless you know your way around bicycles, buying second hand can easily leave with you with a purchase that requires expensive maintenance or repairs in the short to medium term.

Call Finishline cycles in Kempton park as well Hot Spot cycles in PTA. See what they have on offer in your price range ;)

Unless you know your way around bicycles, buying second hand can easily leave with you with a purchase that requires expensive maintenance or repairs in the short to medium term.

yes, this is true. I bought my current bike 2nd hand in July 2016. 

Cost of repairs on the bike not picked up in inspection   - R250 parts and labour (head set bearing - headset bearing was well greased when we opened it, but rust was starting to form on it so I replaced it).

So yes unseen repairs might creep in... just like buying a 2nd hand car.

I don't thing Maddy is trying to buy a bike to do the Epic so spend wisely, FALL IN LOVE WITH MTB'ing then buy your R70k machine to tackle the Epic.

Why would he get frustrated on it?

Getting spare parts, and the geometry is very up right.

A friend of mine went trough the exercise a few years ago.

That bike is not a mountain bike, its more like a city cruiser that looks like a mountain bike.

So ended up getting the axis a20. Took it to the shop, all they did was replace some cables that were a bit worn and bike was good as new.

Thanks all for the advice! 

When the dude that bought my last bike pulled out his chain checker , I was quite surprised but very impressed with how thoroughly he inspected the bike.

0.5 was not even close dropping in  ;)

So ended up getting the axis a20. Took it to the shop, all they did was replace some cables that were a bit worn and bike was good as new.

Thanks all for the advice! 

Looking forward to pics of you & new bike out on the trails  :thumbup:

Archived