Cyclist died - Potchefstroom

SilverRider

I wonder how many tragic commuter incidents we miss? These are bread winners, tring there damn best to win todays bread for family. RIP.

Very true, Neil. This is maybe the biggest point for motorist education if you can call it that. To consider the commuter as a human being who has a family. Most of these guys are the only breadwinner and a family's only hope for a better life. But is this thought crossing your mind if you are driving comfy in your car?

I wonder how many tragic commuter incidents we miss? These are bread winners, tring there damn best to win todays bread for family. RIP.

We have the best commuters,(the bread winners)just trying to get to a *** job quicker and cheaper,they don't care if you on a 26"/29" roadie or SS, IN MY EXPERIENCE they are always friendly, smiled and waved and loved to put the power down for a few seconds to show you they don't rate you on your super ride,

Only "issue" is most our commuters think they are in Europe but hey TIA

We have the best commuters,(the bread winners)just trying to get to a *** job quicker and cheaper,they don't care if you on a 26"/29" roadie or SS, IN MY EXPERIENCE they are always friendly, smiled and waved and loved to put the power down for a few seconds to show you they don't rate you on your super ride,

Only "issue" is most our commuters think they are in Europe but hey TIA

You've pointed out a sweet, positive in SA culture. Shot!

RIP. Positive vibes for tomorrow's commute.

Edited by Formallyknownas

I wonder how many tragic commuter incidents we miss? These are bread winners, tryng their damn best to win todays bread for family. RIP.

Another bike rider gone. Another blot on all our lives.  RIP.

Too many to answer your question. A few years back I was looking at numbers of cycling fatalities nation wide. The big cities accounted for less than 15%, the majority where on rural roads and small town and smaller cities.  Cape Town was 3 deaths out of 27 in the Western Cape.

It's a fallacy that cycle safety is about protecting privileged middle class recreational lycra clad bike riders on expensive gear. It's the invisible worker riding to work to earn a living to provide for a family without the means to buy fancy lights and helmet.

I wonder how many tragic commuter incidents we miss? These are bread winners, tryng their damn best to win todays bread for family. RIP.

+/- 200 a year if I remember the stats correctly