The Apple Watch thread

Cois

I would like to request that we try to keep this a Apple Hate free tread.

Yes we know they are overpriced and not the best and bla bla bla...

But can we please start a tread on how to use your Apple Watch better.

Tips like what apps to use and what works good with Gen 1 as well as Gen 2 and the future devices that Apple should release. What advice can you give to a new user and how to utilize the goals and other Apple built in utilities. And the occasional brag if you surpass your 400% goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Cois

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, firstly you can call it by its right name as there is no such thing as an iWatch: it's an Apple Watch.

I have one of the original sport 42mm (Gen 0 I suppose) and it works well.

Can't use Strava on it though, as Discovery only recognizes the Workout app. So just start Strava on iPhone and run Outside Cycle on watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iWatch is not an Apple product. Swatch said the name "iWatch" was too similar to its own trademarks for the words "iSwatch" and "Swatch", so the trademark was declined.

The watch Apple makes is called the Apple Watch

So, are you on about the Apple Watch, or a Swatch watch? 

Advice: Buy a Garmin or Suunto

Owner of a first gen Apple Watch, iPhone 7, Garmin Forerunner, Garmin Edge.

PS: Buy a Garmin :) 

• 1 month later...

Not yet. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Paying a premium for the tech on my arm

Anyone had an issue with their Apple Watch peeling around the HR sensor? (Space Grey)

how long have you had it ? I have exactly the same . But don't wear everyday and also don't wear very often for rides . Use to use my Fitbit hr but have started recently using it more often.

Those pics of the peeling are horrible .

The only problem I have had with my Watch is used it for a roadbike ride and after 4h50min it went flat and i couldn't save the ride ,even after I started to charge it .

So what's the answer to keeping the battery live going for longer bar the obvious. Brightness,nothing running in the background.

I'll try make my story as brief as possible.....

got the watch Dec 2015 (Vitality program) I'll be damned if I pay a flippen cent soI've made sure I meet my and have met all goals to date.

Lat year May peeling happened, got a replacement watch.

This year Feb noticed the same, informed iStore/Core Group with pics straight away, but never had time till the end of last month to make it to a store.

I've now been quoted R4500 to "repair" it, so it's basically buying a new one because the replacement's warranty expired last year August (only 3 months on replacements)

I'm busy fighting with Apple as Core say it's out of their hands, they get final say from Apple.

Fighting because I'm pedantic about ALL my stuff, this watch no exception.

It's pristine, been cared for like a child.

HOW??? can a superior product like Apple be of inferior quality.. I'm a huge fan... iEverything... but this is very disheartening... So I'm waiting for an answer but Was told "it doesn't look good"

this bit of drama aside, I will get another one sometime, next year or something... but like with the phones, I'll never get a dark case again(iPhone 5 paint issues too)... Silver for everything please. 

got the watch Dec 2015 (Vitality program) I'll be damned if I pay a flippen cent soI've made sure I meet my and have met all goals to date.

This year Feb noticed the same, informed iStore/Core Group with pics straight away, but never had time till the end of last month to make it to a store.

I've now been quoted R4500 to "repair" it, so it's basically buying a new one because the replacement's warranty expired last year August (only 3 months on replacements)

I'm busy fighting with Apple as Core say it's out of their hands, they get final say from Apple.

HOW??? can a superior product like Apple be of inferior quality.. I'm a huge fan... iEverything... but this is very disheartening... So I'm waiting for an answer but Was told "it doesn't look good"

this bit of drama aside, I will get another one sometime, next year or something... but like with the phones, I'll never get a dark case again(iPhone 5 paint issues too)... Silver for everything please.

Problem is that bloody Core group. Wish Apple will take over in SA, and kick the bastards from core to the corner.

I hate Core as they can do weapons, but not IT or consumer (sheepel) products.

If you can find something that looks like a recall print it out and take it to the iStore. Then they can't refuse your claim

i got mine on the same deal via vitality. Also didnt want to pay that price for the watch . And am i everything as well...iPad,iPhone,iwatch. How long is the warranty for anyway?

That's very disappointing to hear they are not replacing the watch . I still have an older iPhone 5s which works perfectly . ( because I won't just upgrade and pay a premium) .

i will keep an eye on my watch .

• 5 months later...

LTG, how did your Apple Watch issue resolve? If at all?

LTG, how did your Apple Watch issue resolve? If at all?

I got a nice fat shiny middle finger from Core :cursing:

Lesson... don't get Space Grey Apple anything...

stick to Silver...

That being said.. I just bought my missus a Series 3 in gold for her 40th in December, I hope I haven't made a poo choice. :wacko:  especially seeing as they don't offer iCare on watches.

Hi guys, can you please give me an indication of what the goals entail for the apple watch? 

I believe it is in terms of points, which are related to training in HR zones (I will use it for cycling)? How many points do you need to reach your weekly goal? Is it 900 every week? This translates roughly to 3 x 1 hours of hard riding?

Also, can I rather use and sync my garmin to get the points while cycling? I can only imagine crashing with the apple watch while riding in Jonkers or Ezel....

Hi guys, can you please give me an indication of what the goals entail for the apple watch?

I believe it is in terms of points, which are related to training in HR zones (I will use it for cycling)? How many points do you need to reach your weekly goal? Is it 900 every week? This translates roughly to 3 x 1 hours of hard riding?

Also, can I rather use and sync my garmin to get the points while cycling? I can only imagine crashing with the apple watch while riding in Jonkers or Ezel....

Goals are dependent on what your target is, if you don’t go for the high performance athlete option, then it will max out at 900.

If you have an avg hr of more than 80% of Max for 30 mins, that is 300 points, they give an indication on the website of what you need to do in order to achieve the points.. https://www.discovery.co.za/portal/individual/vitality-news-device-workout-points

And yes, you can use your Garmin, they don’t really care how you earn the points, just as long as you do.. I.e 1 ride of 70% or more avg max hr and 6 gym swipes will get you 900 points, if that is your target

Edited by Mr Anderson