DIY project - building a workshop stand

ChrisF

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jip, guilty as charged .... :)

so jy WEET hoe ek hou van speel in die garage .... my dinge juik erg om n stand te bou ..... net n praktiese "clamp" uitfigure ...

Kalahari Vegmot was advertising some home made stands for charity a while back I think - check classifieds.

Play time ....  :whistling:   :devil:

Having searched far and wide - on google ..... I came to the conclusion I want the following :

- a hanging stand .... rod coming down from the roof trusses, than can fold away.

- clamp must be height adjustable, with a LOW setting so that Maritz can work on his bike, and a higher position for me.

- Seat post clamp, with the option to rotate the bike in the vertical plane (looked cool on the videos, but dont know why  :whistling: )

- this setup will also allow me to rotate the bike along the horizontal plane.

- holding a bike in the air while trying to tighten up a clamp surely cant be the best way ...

Dug around the garage, and started with some scrap metal ..... so after some cutting, welding, grinding, ....

pipe in the bench-vice - just to test the setup before I fit the hanging rod :

post-110956-0-83502700-1492631255_thumb.jpg

T-section to allow all the twisting and turning (painting to be done later) :

post-110956-0-36375800-1492631315_thumb.jpg

Clamp :

post-110956-0-07846600-1492631360_thumb.jpg

Set the T-section to the desired position on the upright, and tighten in position :

post-110956-0-67312700-1492631415_thumb.jpg

Protection over the seat post, then clamp - while the bike is on the ground.  No rush, no stress, no hassle ...

(I used conveyor belt for this test - NOPE.  Will try an old tube next time ...) :

post-110956-0-46120000-1492631506_thumb.jpg

Now pick up the bike, and slide the shaft into the T-section, tighten the bolt with the bike at whatever angle you want it :

post-110956-0-61158500-1492631568_thumb.jpg

might still add a tool tray.  Not really needed as I have two work tops .... but who knows .... will test it out and see how the project develops.

R64 for some scrap metal at Brackenfell Steel

couple of bolts and nuts that I had

R5 for a spring to auto-open the clamp as you loosen the plastic-wingnut.

R150 for three plastic wingnuts

couple of welding rods

working with Maritz on his bike - PRICE LESS 

R64 for some scrap metal at Brackenfell Steel

couple of bolts and nuts that I had

R5 for a spring to auto-open the clamp as you loosen the plastic-wingnut.

R150 for three plastic wingnuts

couple of welding rods

working with Maritz on his bike - PRICE LESS

I am just waiting for the concussion from banging your head on the vertical shaft.... :)

I am just waiting for the concussion from banging your head on the vertical shaft.... :)

why .... same as with the DIY-stands, just goes higher....  :wacko:   :whistling:  jy laat my nou worry ..   :blink:

Upright (vertical) shaft will be on the "left" side of the bike - with most work happening on the chain side.

Once the rig is complete I may shorten the horizontal shaft .... pedals must clear the upright, but not much reason for this shaft to be longer ... but I will test this before cutting ....

sal maar n cartoon-pleister op die tool-tray hou ...  :devil:   dalk maar my hard-hat gebruik vir die eerste paar keer ...  :devil:  :devil:

why .... same as with the DIY-stands, just goes higher.... :wacko: :whistling: jy laat my nou worry .. :blink:

Upright (vertical) shaft will be on the "left" side of the bike - with most work happening on the chain side.

Once the rig is complete I may shorten the horizontal shaft .... pedals must clear the upright, but not much reason for this shaft to be longer ... but I will test this before cutting ....

sal maar n cartoon-pleister op die tool-tray hou ... :devil: dalk maar my hard-hat gebruik vir die eerste paar keer ... :devil: :devil:

Perhaps I misunderstood the vertical - I thought it was going to hang down from the ceiling so would be above the bike completely

Perhaps I misunderstood the vertical - I thought it was going to hang down from the ceiling so would be above the bike completely

Aaah .... jip hanging from the top down, down to just above the ground.  Pivotted at the top, so when done it gets tilted up and clipped in place.  Nice clean space for other projects, and only seconds to set up when we want to work on the bikes.

The next part of the project will be to figure out the pivot, but more importantly how to stabilize the rod in the down position to keep flex to a minimum.

so very much the same concept as the tripod type stands, except no feet to trip over on the floor.

PS - with these stands the bike is "in front" of you.  So no bending over the bike to work on it.  So in theory no need to bend into the vertical bar.  May eat my words when Maritz's bike is at low level and I bend over to help him ...  dalk maar n laag ROOI verf op daai paal sit ....

Play time ....  :whistling:   :devil:

Having searched far and wide - on google ..... I came to the conclusion I want the following :

- a hanging stand .... rod coming down from the roof trusses, than can fold away.

- clamp must be height adjustable, with a LOW setting so that Maritz can work on his bike, and a higher position for me.

- Seat post clamp, with the option to rotate the bike in the vertical plane (looked cool on the videos, but dont know why  :whistling: )

- this setup will also allow me to rotate the bike along the horizontal plane.

- holding a bike in the air while trying to tighten up a clamp surely cant be the best way ...

Dug around the garage, and started with some scrap metal ..... so after some cutting, welding, grinding, ....

pipe in the bench-vice - just to test the setup before I fit the hanging rod :

attachicon.gifStand-1 (Large).jpg

T-section to allow all the twisting and turning (painting to be done later) :

attachicon.gifStand-2 (Large).jpg

Clamp :

attachicon.gifStand-3 (Large).jpg

Set the T-section to the desired position on the upright, and tighten in position :

attachicon.gifStand-4 (Large).jpg

Protection over the seat post, then clamp - while the bike is on the ground.  No rush, no stress, no hassle ...

(I used conveyor belt for this test - NOPE.  Will try an old tube next time ...) :

attachicon.gifStand-5 (Large).jpg

Now pick up the bike, and slide the shaft into the T-section, tighten the bolt with the bike at whatever angle you want it :

attachicon.gifStand-6 (Large).jpg

might still add a tool tray.  Not really needed as I have two work tops .... but who knows .... will test it out and see how the project develops.

Nice!!!

Really like the clamp design. You could try shoe rubber(R15 of iets vir n vel) to pad the clamp? Leather worked well for me. I found that inner tubes didn't work at all-perhaps due to my clamp not having such a big contact patch though

Nice!!!

Really like the clamp design. You could try shoe rubber(R15 of iets vir n vel) to pad the clamp? Leather worked well for me. I found that inner tubes didn't work at all-perhaps due to my clamp not having such a big contact patch though

dankie.  I will certainly play with different linings ... let's see what works best :)

Go to a dirt bike shop and ask them for a blown heavy duty inner tube from a dirt bike. Cut strips and line your vise with that. Will post an image later on.

Go to a dirt bike shop and ask them for a blown heavy duty inner tube from a dirt bike. Cut strips and line your vise with that. Will post an image later on.

That's a good idea

I have an old MTB inner tube, tried a piece of this .. seems to work nicely.  

Should add - I cut it open, thus using single layer

^^^ This

I bought one of these, and have no issues with mine apart of the red rubber insert falling out all the time

^^^^ THIS!!

Archived