[Event] Tip Trans Cederberg MTB

Bolla

Event Name: Tip Trans Cederberg MTB
When: 2 September 2017
Where: ByDiDam, Western Cape
Category: MTB

This year is the down ride on the 115km race. We have also added a 65km race for the riders that like the terrain a bit more technical. The ever popular 45km ride will also be there for the not so fit riders.

Come and enjoy a day on the bike and some refreshments afterward. There is something to do for the whole family , including a kiddies race and entertainment for the little ones .

If you are not a cyclist then come and give our 15km trail run a go.

If you love the outdoors and hospitality of the "platteland " then this is the race to do.

We hope to see you there.

Go to Event Page

Finally the cycling calendar has opened up, K2C is off the cards, and with Cederberg 100miler moving their dates to next weekend I can put this one in the bucket this year.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Bolla, is the down ride the same as the 2015 ride where we went to Clanwilliam first and from there to Algeria?

Why does the site say "This year is the down ride. Don’t let that fool you. The winning times on the down ride is slower than the up ride."

The route looks the same as last year?

Yes the route is the same as 2015. the elevation is 1465m. Like waldoZ mentioned , don't be fooled by the "down ride" :devil:

Edited by Bolla

Yes the route is the same as 2015. the elevation is 1465m. Like waldoZ mentioned , don't be fooled by the "down ride" :devil:

Add a eastern wind and this can become a long hard day.

Does anyone know how difficult/easy the 45km and 65km are?

Got this from the organisers:

the 45km has 518m elevation and the 65km has 855m elevation.

Event Name: Tip Trans Cederberg MTB

When: 2 September 2017

Where: ByDiDam, Western Cape

Category: MTB

This year is the down ride on the 115km race. We have also added a 65km race for the riders that like the terrain a bit more technical. The ever popular 45km ride will also be there for the not so fit riders.

Come and enjoy a day on the bike and some refreshments afterward. There is something to do for the whole family , including a kiddies race and entertainment for the little ones .

If you are not a cyclist then come and give our 15km trail run a go.

If you love the outdoors and hospitality of the "platteland " then this is the race to do.

We hope to see you there.

Go to Event Page

what sort of terrain can we expect, open dirt roads, rocky climbs? to which other event can you compare the riding terrain to in that area i.e. Cederberg 100 miler or Amarider 100 miler type of roads?

what sort of terrain can we expect, open dirt roads, rocky climbs? to which other event can you compare the riding terrain to in that area i.e. Cederberg 100 miler or Amarider 100 miler type of roads?

Morning, will be my first long ride, longest was the Stellenbosch 50km a month ago. Any advice for the 115km? Doing the race to build up experience for the K2C in a months time

Morning, will be my first long ride, longest was the Stellenbosch 50km a month ago. Any advice for the 115km? Doing the race to build up experience for the K2C in a months time

I've never done this race before so not sure what to expect but since this going to be at least a 4-5 hour ride I'd say keep the heart rate at between 75%-85% of MAX HR for the duration & you could probably go up to 95%-100% of MHR up the climbs

Something else worth mentioning is that while this is good training for K2C in terms of getting the miles in the legs I found the route profiles to be very different. Tip Trans have one very big climb with lots of flat sections vs K2C which is mostly steepish rollers & fast downhills (but you feel like you are climbing all day long).

Not sure if it is still in the race but be mentally prepared for the last few kilometers which takes you off the roads detouring onto some sandy singletrack & jeeptrack through the orchards which is cruel on the tired legs (I have never appreciated that section...)

Much like the malmesbury 100 miler, with just 1 big climb. If you have done the cederberg 100 miler then you would know the part from Clanwilliam to Algeria. One year there was a lot of sinkplaat. I do not know what condition the road is in this year.

Much like the malmesbury 100 miler, with just 1 big climb. If you have done the cederberg 100 miler then you would know the part from Clanwilliam to Algeria. One year there was a lot of sinkplaat. I do not know what condition the road is in this year.

thanks Breezer