Motivation

It has all been said before, so to summarize:

motivation is a short term drug.  Getting motivated does not work.

Rather look for lifestyle changes.  Things you cannot back out off.  Give you wife your car keys and commute to work.  Failing that get a lift to work and RUN home.  No exercise=no way home.  This can also be done on weekends.  Take you wife shopping and run or cycle home.

Give up you lunch hour to gym.  Cut sugar out of your coffee.  Don't buy sweets of cool drinks.  Stop drinking alcohol.  GIVE AWAY YOUR TELEVISION ext.

If you battle with the cold turkey lifestyle approach then the Long term plan approach is next best.  Enter a ultra marathon race such as 360ne, Transbaviaans C2T ext for your Birthday present to yourself, or even better your wife's present to you.  Now you will have to train for this of "DIE" on race day.  It is amazing just how much dedication the idea of a FUTURE humiliation/pain will give you.  Once you realise the extent of your training plan suddenly it is easier to grind out the km's.  After one ultra plan another and another.  After the third you will be on the road to a health lifestyle.  BONUS, training partners will appear out of the woodwork once you are clocking up over 50km a ride.

Diverisfy, do duathlons, trail runs, mtb XCO, road races orienteeringext.  Take the family to some of the fun events at the bikeparks so they can see just how much fun it can be, especially the post ride beer and meals.  Kids love orienteering for instance. 

Lastly, it does help if your family is behind you on plan to fitness.  Sport holidays can be a drag, if the family is not accommodated properly.  Celebrate losing 10kgs by taking your wife out to the theater.  Do some yoga sessions with her, so that she can laugh at your "fitness" without flex.  Run with the kids, take them boating......

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"If I can stay on the IDT for 5minutes this time, I can have a beer with my bibs on infront of the TV"

Archived