Motivation

I find I don't need motivation to get on the bike once my feet are on the floor in the am....

Getting the feet on the floor is another game altogether... comes down to asking myself a few hard questions about what I want out of it on occasion....

The answers to your questions, is it always like the right ones to get onto your bike?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find I don't need motivation to get on the bike once my feet are on the floor in the am....

Getting the feet on the floor is another game altogether... comes down to asking myself a few hard questions about what I want out of it on occasion....

When I started riding a good friend told me the hardest part is just getting out the door .... once you're out is is all fine!

The answers to your questions, is it always like the right ones to get onto your bike?

Not always - depends on if there is a text from Eddy saying he is staying in bed...

Best moment of this morning's ride .... the two sets of mountain bikers (I think they were mtb's) who pinged their bells to say "Howzit" as I cruised down Constantia Nek at about 5:50am

When I started riding a good friend told me the hardest part is just getting out the door .... once you're out is is all fine!

Ain't that the bloody truth!

Busy trying to get myself to wake up at stupid o clock to go for a morning ride whilst the rest of the family are sleeping. It turns out that, despite best intentions, SOMETHING always comes up that either leads to me severely curtailing my post-work sessions, or just canning them altogether. 

For the past 2 days I've woken up at 4am. Phone is downstairs, so I need to get up to switch off the alarm (it doesn't cancel by itself) 

Been easy enough to get out of bed. What's difficult is to STAY out of bed. This morning was slightly easier, and I busied myself by getting lunch & breakfast ready to take to the office, and get the lightie's school stuff packed. Tomorrow morning will see me going for a ride instead of doing that. Hopefully, after a few repeats, it'll become habit. 

Motivation is for losers. DEDICATION is what you need. You can be as motivated as all hell to get something. If you're not dedicated to achieving the result, it won't help you. 

Busy trying to get myself to wake up at stupid o clock to go for a morning ride whilst the rest of the family are sleeping. It turns out that, despite best intentions, SOMETHING always comes up that either leads to me severely curtailing my post-work sessions, or just canning them altogether. 

For the past 2 days I've woken up at 4am. Phone is downstairs, so I need to get up to switch off the alarm (it doesn't cancel by itself) 

Been easy enough to get out of bed. What's difficult is to STAY out of bed. This morning was slightly easier, and I busied myself by getting lunch & breakfast ready to take to the office, and get the lightie's school stuff packed. Tomorrow morning will see me going for a ride instead of doing that. Hopefully, after a few repeats, it'll become habit. 

Motivation is for losers. DEDICATION is what you need. You can be as motivated as all hell to get something. If you're not dedicated to achieving the result, it won't help you. 

Amen brother!

... or join the BikeHub commuters challenge  :)

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/165328-bike-hub-commuters-challenge-2017/page-7?do=findComment&comment=3114513

Lots of advantages to commuting ... but with this challenge, you end up chasing number 7 for a long time and when you finally passes him, he just commute 2 days in a row and passes you right back. So you end up commuting more often, or longer distances just to catch him again. That's what you wanted?

Find a training partner

This ^ ^ ^ ^

Preferably one that has a steely glint in his eye and hints of froth at the edges of his mouth.

After a while, 04h45 starts feeling like a reasonable time to wake up...until winter hits hard

Last year I only climbed on my road bike about 10 times and that included doing 2 races and would have repeated it this year if it were not for chatting to a guy at the LBS about 2 months back who invited me on a ride with his group, was reluctant at first as they start 4.45am plus its a 7km ride for me to get to the start but now enjoy it and have managed to move from been the straggler off the back at first to finishing mid pack.

Weekends are still reserved for MTB.

Last year I only climbed on my road bike about 10 times and that included doing 2 races and would have repeated it this year if it were not for chatting to a guy at the LBS about 2 months back who invited me on a ride with his group, was reluctant at first as they start 4.45am plus its a 7km ride for me to get to the start but now enjoy it and have managed to move from been the straggler off the back at first to finishing mid pack.

Weekends are still reserved for MTB.

Uh oh .. plans to up game again  :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

It must become a lifestyle rather than needing motivation to train.

I can relate to most guy's comments. I laid off for a long time. Had a big operation on my leg, got married and brought up 2 kids. Stopped for about 13 years after cycling competatively for about 20 years.

Every time I drove past people training or racing it was burning me inside. I started riding again last year and regret stopping for so long.

Slowly but surely I am losing weight, I have more energy again and in general I get rid of my frustations on the bike.

I have a new lease on life and I cannot imagine stopping now.

If you are used to it don't stop. It takes a big effort as you are getting older to start again ask me.

The benefits by far outweigh the sacrifices you make however.

Guest dirkieuys

Getting up and out to ride this time of the year is hard. Finding a balance between spending as much as possible time with the family and time on the bike is even harder. I get up and do my road rides very early and basically get back home when my girls wake up during the week. I Find myself chasing km's for the first time in my life.

My motivation is to be able to ride the Argus in 2018 and following some friends on strava , who are way fitter than i am, spurs me on. On weekends I usually do a few downhill runs and or trail rides. Not hard finding motivation to get up and go riding in the mountains.

Archived