Quarq powermeter bonkers

JA-Q001

Ok, so I have a Quarq riken Powermeter on a sram carbon bb30 crank. It has been working flawlessly since I bought it. When calibrating it always gave me a calibration value between -34 and -45. According to quarq the value itself isnt a problem unless it stays less that +-1000 and calibration values do not chnge more than 50.

I went for a ride on Thursday and everything calibrated normally. On saterday I washed my bike for emparors and on the morning at the race I suddenly started getting calibration values of 4???, 3???, and so on. I can defenatley see my ave power for the race was higher, on a race like this it would normally be around 270 with max about 1400. This time around my ave was around 370, but max still around 1400. Meaning not a uniform percentage differance.

Last night I used the qalvin app and did a diagnostic, everything was fine. I changed the battery and everything. Eventually I got the calibration value to around +500 by rotating the cranks backwards and letting it auto calibrate, but this motnings ride was still averaging about 50 watts higher than normal.

Has anyone ever delt with this type of problem with quarq? I tried contacying them but its not easy.

To have a value of 4,5 etc on a Quarq is fine and still within range. What I would do is check that chain ring bolts are torqued correctly as this will have a direct effect on the power reading and this could be where the over reading is coming from.

Thanks John

I did take everything apart (spider off crank and rings off spider) and refit it with correct torques. Still same issue.

Do you maybe have a email contact at quarq that I can send the info to?

I've had issues with my quarq (not riken) giving funny power readings after getting it wet. It returns to normal after a couple of days.

I had the same issue as some water got into the battery compartment after riding in a heavy storm.

Check your battery compartment seals for damage and replace if necessary.

As mentioned above, it should return to normal after a few days once dry. I opened the battery compartment, removed the battery and then used a hair dryer on low heat to evaporate any residual moisture - this appeared to resolve the issue instantly. 

Ok cool, will try that. Have had the battery compartment open a few times, but never checked for water in there.

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same issue. It also drains a battery over night. I have had the battery cover on and off so many times now that the thread on the cap or compartment has stripped  :cursing:

Does anyone know where I could source a replacement battery compartment? Cape Cycles, the local listed distributor don't seem to want to help me...

This is what I need (battery not included):

post-45899-0-73773400-1551263073_thumb.png

Edited by RyanAW

I'm having the same issue. It also drains a battery over night. I have had the battery cover on and off so many times now that the thread on the cap or compartment has stripped  :cursing:

Does anyone know where I could source a replacement battery compartment? Cape Cycles, the local listed distributor don't seem to want to help me...

What do you mean "don't want to help you?" The cap is a standard spare part. Perhaps they don't have stock? there are plenty of place on the internet that sells the cap. The battery compartment is part of the unit so that cannot be replaced except by Quarq

What do you mean "don't want to help you?" The cap is a standard spare part. Perhaps they don't have stock? there are plenty of place on the internet that sells the cap. The battery compartment is part of the unit so that cannot be replaced except by Quarq

I called them up and was told that they don't know if they have spares. I was also told to try other shops instead of them (they are the local agent).

My unit is an Elsa RS. The battery compartment is removable. It is not removable on the DZero

It's Cape Cycle Systems.

They are probably the WORST importer in the country.

Contact Quarq directly:

https://www.quarq.com/contact-us/

As Asio mentioned, CCS are definitely the worst, in terms of service, support and pricing (worst at everything as it turns out).

Mention to Quarq that you have contacted the local agents and they haven't been able to assist. The international service is normally pretty good.

My Quarq Dzero has been weird with the zero offset for a while now.

All within limits.......but jumping around.

I have sent diagnostics to Quarq and they say everything looks fine.

post-25-0-88490000-1551265977_thumb.jpg

I called them up and was told that they don't know if they have spares. I was also told to try other shops instead of them (they are the local agent).

My unit is an Elsa RS. The battery compartment is removable. It is not removable on the DZero

well they won't sell the cap to you directly. You'd have to buy it through your local bike shop.

Another funny thing happened during the week.

Firmware update from V7 to V8

Last night I check......V8 is installed but the only available version is V7

Had to roll back

And there is NO trace of V8 ever existing.

SW engineers are weird *****

Edited by Asio