Ultegra Shifters not shifting

Jurgens Smit

I would replace cable and housing first. Then if the problem is still there open the shifter.

It seems that few cyclist realize that the gear cables also need replacement

Will Give it a bash and see what happens.

Dont think it is the limit screws as if i remove the H Limit screw and I disconnect it from the cable completely, It still wont move down.

Sounds out of the normal.  Question when you move it down by hand do you force it or does it move easily?  Either some dirt in there or some form of damage.  Without cable tension and limit screws it should be able to move down through all the gears without problem.

Yeah, It does move down easily, I dont have to put a lot of force. 

ive cleaned it already and lubed it with chain lube. 

which is why i think it could be alignment/springs/ bent cage

Last weekend my Ultegra 6800 right hand shifter stopped downshifting entirely - it could upshift but a only very faint/no click to downshift, so I got stuck in my lowest gear... ended up releasing the cable tension at the derailleur so I could use the middle gear of the cassette and effectively rode home as a singlespeed or 2x1.

I I presumed the cable had frayed/ceased up, so got new cables and replaced - however the cable was still as good and smoothly lubed as the day I installed it, so it was the shifter mech that was at fault. Remedial procedures went as follows:

1. Drowned the shifter in WD40 - was not very effective

2. Partially disassembled the shifter by removing the 1 bolt and 2 cover plates at its base in front

3. Found that the engagement pawl wasn't moving; I could force-engage it with a screwdriver to shift, but it wouldn't on its own. Dried up muck/grease causing issues

4. Sprayed the culprit with degreaser, and some more degreaser, and some more while shifting through the gears - all working again

5. Blow-dried with compressor, rinsed with water and blow-dried again

6. Relubricated with Harken Mc Lube and WD40

7. Reinstalled cable (with lube) and reassembled. All 100% again

So that's another side to Ultegra shifters not shifting.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally Resolved the problem, after stripping and regreasing, 

I gave up and went to the LBS yesterday cost me R100 for a wash and a hangar realignment.

Problem Solved :thumbup:

3. Found that the engagement pawl wasn't moving; I could force-engage it with a screwdriver to shift, but it wouldn't on its own. Dried up muck/grease causing issues

Which Pawl?

I have had a similar problem twice.

Solution: Spar THROTTLE BODY CLEANER in and allow to air dray.

I have searched and searched online and could not find a lube to use for shifters so I surmise that lube will merely cause it to gum up.

Cheers!

Archived