Hit and run Somerset West

Toitler

Help Needed to catch a hit and run culprit!!

Wannabees Cycling Club members.

Details of a hit & run this morning at the X of R44 & N2 @ 9.30 Sat 13 May direction from Strand towards Lord Charles.

A white Mitsubishi bakkie was in the middle lane about 10m from the robot, (just as the white dotted line ends and the yellow V solid line at the X begins) swerved violently to the left hitting one of our WCC members. The bakkie hit the cyclist with the middle left side of his vehicle.

The bakkie then nearly took out a car by accelerating into the N2 onramp and on to the N2.

The car that was nearly taken out proceeded to chase the bakkie on the N2.

The WCC members are hoping that if we broadcast this incident widely enough, we can get in touch with the chasing vehicle, so that we can get more details on the bakkie (hopefully the driver's reg no.).

The bakkie had Mitsubishi in capital black letters across the tail gate.

It is unlikely to be accidental as the bakkie hit our cyclist flush middle of the left side of the bakkie.

The WCC members would really appreciate it if every member would assist us by broadcasting this message as widely as possible, in an attempt to track down the offending driver.

The cyclist that was hit said when he got up from the fall he was in the yellow V section of the intersection at the robots, a couple of more meters and the bakkie would have taken out the left hand traffic light.

Best regards

Brian Moore

THIS is where the force of the PPA can, and should, help out.

There are MANY cameras on the N2.  To view the footage a case must be opened at the SAPD, and someone needs to apply pressure on the authorities to follow the law and use that footage to track down the culprit.

Not sure if there are cameras AT the scene of the accident, but how many White Mitshubishi bakkies were on the N2 at that time ?

PS - how is the rider doing ?

PPS - Welcome to the Hub Brian

As ChrisF says. Catching this one should be very possible indeed. Come ppa, throw some weight behind this

Hope the culprit will be identified and made an example of.

PPA should get more involved. Promoting cycling safety is more than printing 1.5m stickers and organising "protest rides"...

Hope the culprit will be identified and made an example of.

PPA should get more involved. Promoting cycling safety is more than printing 1.5m stickers and organising "protest rides"...

and it really should be as easy as ONE call and email from PPA to Mr Kenny Africa.  He forwards this to his officers, with an INSTRUCTION to follow up and prosecute the bakkie driver.  Hardly as if the PPA needs to spend many hours on this ..... (now if only ....)

Archived