Dropper post...Internal, or External???

CASSIE1975

Drilling a hole through the frame only applicable to aluminium / steel frames,  or can one drill a carbon frame as well?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drilling a hole through the frame only applicable to aluminium / steel frames,  or can one drill a carbon frame as well?

Maybe it's best to contact someone that does any Carbon repairs (IF you / someone has a carbon frame) and ask if it could be possible...and IF SO, then maybe where would be the place on the frame / seat tube / down tube be that would have the least "stress" and would not add to any future damage / failure "assistance" IF one drills a hole.

Maybe it's best to contact someone that does any Carbon repairs (IF you / someone has a carbon frame) and ask if it could be possible...and IF SO, then maybe where would be the place on the frame / seat tube / down tube be that would have the least "stress" and would not add to any future damage / failure "assistance" IF one drills a hole.

I fitted a 100mm Lyne post to my wife's bike a few months ago. I had to shorten the seat tube by around 20mm and also drill a hole in the down tube for the cable as there is no external 100mm option. The shortened seat tube was to allow for her low seat height (she's not tall) and was quite easy on the Zula she rides.

The seat tube on other bikes may not be as long or allow for this. Being quite old school, the Zula had an overly tall seat tube projecting above the brace to the top tube. Because the slot that allows the tube to be compressed by the clamp was shortened in the process, I added a second short slot opposite it. 

So far so good.

I fitted a 100mm Lyne post to my wife's bike a few months ago. I had to shorten the seat tube by around 20mm and also drill a hole in the down tube for the cable as there is no external 100mm option. The shortened seat tube was to allow for her low seat height (she's not tall) and was quite easy on the Zula she rides.

The seat tube on other bikes may not be as long or allow for this. Being quite old school, the Zula had an overly tall seat tube projecting above the brace to the top tube. Because the slot that allows the tube to be compressed by the clamp was shortened in the process, I added a second short slot opposite it. 

So far so good.

I presume this was an Aluminium frame?  :thumbup:  well done!

So far so good.

*Hijack on, and some advise from you guys please

I have a similar problem. Due to my shortish legs and larger bike frame, I'm having a bit of problems finding a suitable dropper post. The problem is I have about 170mm between seat clamp and saddle rail.

The options I have are as follows:

- 31.6 x 120mm Lyne dropper. However, I will need 183mm exposed seat post, so will need to trim the seat tube by 13mm.

- 30.9 x 100mm Lyne dropper. I will not need to trim the seat tube, but will need a shim. This seems the most practical option, but then I don't have as much drop and have a narrower seatpost

- 30.9 x 125mm Rapide dropper. I will need to trim the seat tube by 5mm, and will need a shim, however, it is about R600 cheaper than the Lyne options.

The bike is a 2017 Trek Fuel EX, second hand, so no worries about voiding warranties if I decide to cut the seat tube.

Will cutting the seat tube be an option in this case, and is there a big disadvantage going with the 30.9mm diameter dropper over the 31.6? 

Any other suggestions?

TIA

post-62386-0-72977700-1524576387_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There is a little saddle play right to left on my dropper post, is this normal? My LBS says that every dropper post has this issue no matter how expensive.

There is a little saddle play right to left on my dropper post, is this normal? My LBS says that every dropper post has this issue no matter how expensive.

I have it as well.. Not a real concern for me, i move around so much on my saddle, and adjust the seat height all the time as I ride, so the small around of play doesn't concern me. 

Yes, it's a feature, so that you don't have to align your saddle 100% when fitting.

Yes, it's a feature, so that you don't have to align your saddle 100% when fitting.

LOL

I have it as well.. Not a real concern for me, i move around so much on my saddle, and adjust the seat height all the time as I ride, so the small around of play doesn't concern me. 

Damn! Was hoping there was a fix

Depends on how much play. I'd say a few mm either way is normal. Anything more than that and there is probably an issue with the dropper.

Personally, I only ever notice the play when I'm off the bike and grab it by the saddle. Never noticed it while riding.

Depends on how much play. I'd say a few mm either way is normal. Anything more than that and there is probably an issue with the dropper.

Personally, I only ever notice the play when I'm off the bike and grab it by the saddle. Never noticed it while riding.

There isn't much play to be honest, like you said a few mm either way.

First time using a dropper and was interested to know if there maybe was a problem with my dropper.

*Hijack on, and some advise from you guys please

I have a similar problem. Due to my shortish legs and larger bike frame, I'm having a bit of problems finding a suitable dropper post. The problem is I have about 170mm between seat clamp and saddle rail.

The options I have are as follows:

- 31.6 x 120mm Lyne dropper. However, I will need 183mm exposed seat post, so will need to trim the seat tube by 13mm.

- 30.9 x 100mm Lyne dropper. I will not need to trim the seat tube, but will need a shim. This seems the most practical option, but then I don't have as much drop and have a narrower seatpost

- 30.9 x 125mm Rapide dropper. I will need to trim the seat tube by 5mm, and will need a shim, however, it is about R600 cheaper than the Lyne options.

The bike is a 2017 Trek Fuel EX, second hand, so no worries about voiding warranties if I decide to cut the seat tube.

Will cutting the seat tube be an option in this case, and is there a big disadvantage going with the 30.9mm diameter dropper over the 31.6? 

Any other suggestions?

TIA

What you need is OneUp's new dropper post. You can set the drop for the full extension of the post. Will be ordering one soon when back in stock as I also have shorter legs and most 150-170mm post won't work for me.

Edited by stefmeister