Enduro events for beginners to attract more riders

Reden

Maybe someone with the know how could do a series like the USN is for endurance type events.

Not as tough as say Hakahana with no (or very small ones) drops, jumps & no rock gardens with say 3 stages.

There would be little if any money in it but a good recipe might boost the numbers at Enduro events.

Places like Wolwe, Modderfontein & Avianto comes to mind. One can even hold a three stage one at Northern farm.

At NF the equestrian section after the small stream crossing up to the bottom can count for one stage.

Plenty of other options the could be run with low difficulty grade.

Opinions & comments?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe someone with the know how could do a series like the USN is for endurance type events.

Not as tough as say Hakahana with no (or very small ones) drops, jumps & no rock gardens with say 3 stages.

There would be little if any money in it but a good recipe might boost the numbers at Enduro events.

Places like Wolwe, Modderfontein & Avianto comes to mind. One can even hold a three stage one at Northern farm.

At NF the equestrian section after the small stream crossing up to the bottom can count for one stage.

Opinions & comments?

I much rather prefer a full and a light option at current events opposed to separate events. Now the tricky bit comes in on whether you make the light the 3 non-technical stages (for the unskilled rider) or keep the technical element (for the unfit, but skilled rider).

I know of more unfit, but skilled riders that do not do events, as they don't want to bleed through their eyeballs to get through the last 2 liaisons.

Just organise a mates race with Strava to time stages.  Eventually something organic could come from it.

Up here in Gauteng we need more Enduro events anyway.

The idea is what we have in Marathons.

Ashburton National series, Nissan Trail Seekers and the USN Cup.

Up here in Gauteng we need more Enduro events anyway.

The idea is what we have in Marathons.

Ashburton National series, Nissan Trail Seekers and the USN Cup.

Nissan Trail Seeker folks hosted an Enduro here once as part of their MTB festival.  It was pretty cool, so I'm sure if the area lends itself to it they could piggy back on a trailseeker event or two, but then the numbers have to rock up to justify the extra infrastructure.

Could work but enduro is gravity so maybe not northen farm , wolwe spruit could work well.

Other issue is 'good guys' coming just to kill it and take the prizes and fun away from the people trying to get into it.

Create A community and then organize A race

Could work but enduro is gravity so maybe not northen farm , wolwe spruit could work well.

Other issue is 'good guys' coming just to kill it and take the prizes and fun away from the people trying to get into it.

Create A community and then organize A race

I will go show you where at NF I mean. Some sections are much like the bottom of SP8.

Will try and draw on a map some of the ideas I have. One section at NF have changed to more curves.

More riders interested might mean more at events like Haka especially that the first Nationals ever will be there.

Just my opinion but why are we tying to make everything in life easier?

Would the average person not benefit more from the achievement of practicing and working towards being able to do an Enduro rather than rolling up to a mellow trail and coasting down to the finish.

In trying to accommodate everyone we loose track of what we are trying to accomplish within the sport.

A while ago I did the Van Gaalens dirtfest which was an enduro type format, in that it was timed stages with a chilled commute from stage to stage.

Was a fun weekend with a new (to me) format. Opened my eyes to the fun social level of a mtb event that wasn't a matrathon.

I think one of the problems about getting more people into enduro events is the contrived gap between "gravity" and Marathon riders (particularly on internet forums where gravity riders are considered to be ultra-elite and marathon riders are considered to be slightly better than roadies)

if i had regular encounters with a bunch of guys that that outdid me completely in skills and dissed my incredibly hard won gazillion miles of riding fitness, lifestyle and expensive 1 gram bicycles I wouldn't support their events either.

I know a lot guys are completely intimidated by the idea of rocking up at events on their 29ers with cleats, doesnt matter if there are B-lines etc cos they dont want to be ridiculed by guys cos they dont have the right gear/look/ethos.

maybe the secret is to make a trail event which combines aspects of technical trail riding, thats not too intimidating but still hard on fitness and skills that will allow people to feel like they have accomplished something and give them the confidence to try enduro and DH?

Places like Wolwe, Modderfontein & Avianto comes to mind. One can even hold a three stage one at Northern farm.

At NF the equestrian section after the small stream crossing up to the bottom can count for one stage.

Opinions & comments?

What's the point then they might as well do a Classic and split it into 3 stages. And no drops,jumps or rock gardens in it,really why have everything easy in life. Us guys who do Enduro races have been practicing and building ourselves up to the point to take on these races,how is your riding going to progress if everything is easy and we don't challenge ourselfs. We had this discussion with some of the Howick trail guys about people who say they need to make their new Enduro stages with easier B-lines in and they said no there is lots of places for people to ride and these stages are there to challenge riders. They say the same thing,how do the guys progress to better riders if everything is easy.And as the guys said earlier Enduro racing is a Grafity event,don't we have enough stuff for the endurance and stage guys going on in SA?

I think one of the problems about getting more people into enduro events is the contrived gap between "gravity" and Marathon riders (particularly on internet forums where gravity riders are considered to be ultra-elite and marathon riders are considered to be slightly better than roadies)

if i had regular encounters with a bunch of guys that that outdid me completely in skills and dissed my incredibly hard won gazillion miles of riding fitness, lifestyle and expensive 1 gram bicycles I wouldn't support their events either.

I know a lot guys are completely intimidated by the idea of rocking up at events on their 29ers with cleats, doesnt matter if there are B-lines etc cos they dont want to be ridiculed by guys cos they dont have the right gear/look/ethos.

maybe the secret is to make a trail event which combines aspects of technical trail riding, thats not too intimidating but still hard on fitness and skills that will allow people to feel like they have accomplished something and give them the confidence to try enduro and DH?

Well said.

What's the point then they might as well do a Classic a split it into 3 stages. And no drops,jumps or rock gardens in it,really why have everything easy in life. Us guys who do Enduro races have been practicing and building ourselves up to the point to take on these races,how is your riding going to progress if everything is easy and we don't challenge ourselfs. We had this discussion with some of the Howick trail guys about people who say they need to make their new Enduro stages with easier B-lines in and they said no there is lots of places for people to ride and these stages are there to challenge riders. They say the same thing,how do the guys progress to better riders if everything is easy.And as the guys said earlier Enduro racing is a Grafity event,don't we have enough stuff for the endurance and stage guys going on in SA?

It's not about the experienced riders. For this the routes can be made more difficult and longer. I agree 100%.

One can start with kids races and work from there.

We need more riders, more events (Gauteng) and more interest from sponsors.

Archived