MicroChip Your Bike

dave303e

Great idea, but I don't think that it addresses the problem in SA at all. This system requires honest participants - a buyer who doesn't want to buy a stolen bike; Or LBSs who would scan the bikes to ensure that they are not stolen.

Our problem is that bikes are stolen and taken across borders or used by people who cannot afford expensive bikes. ie these are not the people who even care that a bike is stolen before buying it, and not the people who regularly service their bikes at reputable bike shops.

In addition, from the recent thread about the 5 bikes stolen from Valverde, criminals do not care about the frame integrity. Therefore one can assume that they are either not opposed to braking the chip out and repairing the frame, or they are more interested in the components than the frame itself.

Yeah I agree with nadbradd...the stores/police/potential buyers all need to play a part in this.

I still maintain that the bikes that are stolen, the majority are stripped for parts as those are un-traceable (unless they have been Data-Dotted or the like) and the parts sold off via various channels. 

Some do go across the borders but I reckon that only about 10% go out the country.

With the recent activity around a suspicious bike in a store - a simple scan would have confirmed this - however what happens if the thieves get aggro when questioned and someone gets hurt, the store owner/manager is trying to do the right thing and perhaps gets stabbed or shot for his troubles....

I agree with Madbradd and skinnyone, its hardly a fool proof solution, but it certainly could help. With the amount of bikes you hear about going unclaimed at police stations and ending up on auction because they cant (or cant be bothered) to find the owner, perhaps a chip would help.

Of course this is all in an ideal world where (all) police do their jobs