Suntour XCT upgrade

stev0

I bought a Gt Timberline a few months ago with the goal to see if the MTB bug can bite me again.  I live on a farm so I have a lot of access to private roads with monster climbs and I really enjoy my early morning sessions. 

So far I've upgraded the tires and went Tubeless. It's seen a service and a rear hub bearing replacement too, all in the short span of about 200km. 

I do about 10-20km a day depending on my route and I'm really enjoying it. I don't think I'd get much back for the old GT, so I figured Id ride it another 500-1000km before I look at upgrading to a DS bike (though I really like Hardtails) 

The front fork is horrible! I run my tires on the flat side and have a bounce when powering uphill as the shock compresses.

Any suggestions on a slightly better fork that can be found second hand, instead of buying new and costing nearly as much as the bike? 

Im no expert but even a decent shock bounces when you peddle uphill. You also won't find anything decent for under 3000 new

This is very much pogostick like. 

The fork does not need to be new, but if you are saying that a cheap entry level airfork wont be much better than the springer I have on now and im really wasting my time, then I need to forget about the idea and just carry on as is for now.

The most basic of Rockshox will beat that Suntour with a stick - it's got no damping, so you're basically just riding a pogo stick.

XC30 Gold if you're a lightweight, XC32 if you're not too worried about a few extra kilos, Recon Gold or Reba if they fit in your budget. Basically buy the best you can, then if you do get a new bike you can always keep the better of the two.

This is very much pogostick like.

The fork does not need to be new, but if you are saying that a cheap entry level airfork wont be much better than the springer I have on now and im really wasting my time, then I need to forget about the idea and just carry on as is for now.

I have a suntour raidon air 29 on my bike. Kast time i check they were about R3 500 new. And it is a decent shock

Rockshox XC32. Got mine from chain reaction at a very reasonable price.

+1. Don't own one, but I've ridden one before. It's pretty decent.

I have a suntour raidon air 29 on my bike. Kast time i check they were about R3 500 new. And it is a decent shock

It is? That makes me feel a whole lot better. I have a SR Suntour Raidon X1 on my Spark 960 and was wondering what the general feeling towards it was. It performs pretty decent so far?

It is? That makes me feel a whole lot better. I have a SR Suntour Raidon X1 on my Spark 960 and was wondering what the general feeling towards it was. It performs pretty decent so far?

I weigh 62 and as i understand it is difficult to find a cheap shock for that weight. Im very happy with it. Especially after i had it pump for my weight. Ive done about 1500 km with it

I weigh 62 and as i understand it is difficult to find a cheap shock for that weight. Im very happy with it. Especially after i had it pump for my weight. Ive done about 1500 km with it

I weigh 105. Sooo, let's hope it holds up :P :D

Decent up to a point - when the damper goes you've got to replace the entire cartridge, and while they're not expensive they can be difficult to get hold of.

If you've got the option, get a Rockshox. 

I've got exactly the same problem, actually mine is worse because I've got the 1-1/8 steerer tube ook nog. Looked for an air fork for a very long time now, luckily I've got family in the UK and we are leaving for a 3 week holiday there on Saturday 1st July. I got a brand new 2016 Rockshox XC30 TK Silver Solo-air 1-1/8 steerer tube for 119.00 pounds. (approx ZAR 1980.69) I know this is not the best but yes, anything better than that coil fork will be better. In SA the air forks are a bit high for my pay level, so I bid on E-bay on many forks with no luck and bought this one direct from a dealer on E-bay.co.uk. Unfortunately a lot of them don't ship/post to SA.

Edited by BSG

Ill keep an eye out on here. The RS seems to be the way to go.

What's the feeling about the Fox shocks?

Ill keep an eye out on here. The RS seems to be the way to go.

What's the feeling about the Fox shocks?

They're expensive to maintain. Seals are more than double the price of the RS ones.

Good kit, but they come with the price tag to match.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post. Also looking at upgrading my straight. Struggling to get get hold of a fork. Any suggestions? Saw that a conversion lower bearing is available. Don't know if it's available locally?