Rim Damage

AlanG

Hi All

I'm a very newbie biker and am incredibly frustrated. Had my bike for a week. On Friday I rode up a kerb a bit skew. The rear tyre caught and I got a puncture. Sorted it out yesterday because I was going for a ride in the cradle this morning. Front tyre was a bit low so decided to pump it. While I was pumping the valve came out and the tyre completely deflated. No riding for me.

So I went out this afternoon instead. As I turned a corner the rear tyre came off completely. I put it back and pumped up. But it looks like I scraped the rim on Friday and the tyre isn't seating nicely where the scrape is. Do I need to buy a new rim? :(

Looks like you have torn the tirewall of the tire from that photo. I do not think you have destroyed the rim. A new tyre and you will be good to go.

Pull the tyre off and post pics of the tyre and rim.

If I'm seeing that correctly, you've got a snakebite puncture at the bead. If the bead has separated from the sidewall, you need to toss that tyre. If it comes off mid-turn you're going to end up in a nasty crash. The rim is likely still good.

Edited by cairbre

Looks like you have torn the tirewall of the tire from that photo. I do not think you have destroyed the rim. A new tyre and you will be good to go.

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better! Quite disheartening starting out and the bike won't play ball.

Will probably use the opportunity to go tubeless.

Pull the tyre off and post pics of the tyre and rim.

If I'm seeing that correctly, you've got a snakebite puncture at the bead. If the bead has separated from the sidewall, you need to toss that tyre. If it comes off mid-turn you're going to end up in a nasty crash. The rim is likely still good.

That's very helpful thanks. I googled snakebite punctures I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's happened as I went up the kerb. I probably already had the bulge and didn't notice it. Because it's not seated proeperly that's why it came off. Luckily at low speed!! Edited by AlanG

I would smooth those rough rim marks up with some low grit sandpaper to avoid having it cut into the new tyres if I were you...!

I think the guys covered it. If you do not go tubeless at this stage, get a new tyre and and a tablespoon of baby powder to the tyre (between the tube and the tyre) before inflating the tube. The baby powder does nothing for puncture resistance but it creates some "lubrication" between the tyre and the tube preventing snakebites to a large extent.