Staying sane when injured, am I the only one who seems to lose my mind?

NixM

I can't use an idt with my injury. My sanity so far is intact I think? and rests on the following:

1. Income and overhead protection insurance

2. Woolworths online shopping

3. Reading books that show me that there are clever people doing good thinking in the world.

4. The knowledge that this will eventually heal

5. Kind Uber drivers

6. Ash and Tarryn from knysna life private hospital, two nursing sisters who dealt with extremely difficult situations superbly and who restored my faith in the capacity of human beings to care for each other.

7. My mother in jhb who sends me cool book recommendations and worries about me.

8. A wise old mentor who passed on recently who used to tell me to stop complaining, stand up straight and count my blessings.

9. 1000 years of the music of western civilisation

10. My fountain pen and moleskine journal

Every strength to all who have busted bones, ailments and illnesses.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the threats to my sanity

1. Not doing 8 to 12 hours a week of hard riding takes away the endorphine and opiate hit that my brain has taken for granted for so long.

2. Worry about the small but present risks of avascular necrosis and non union of this awakward to heal bone.

3. Public spaces paved with special paving surfaces that become ice rinks when wet. Surely they test these things.

4. It appears that the city has no disabled people in its planning and mantenance departments. I challenge the mayor to get from any two adjacent blocks in any city in a wheelchair. If you think the infrastructure for 2 wheeled human powered vehicles is bad, try 4 wheeled human powered. I'll even let Patricia have an able bodied person push her in the chair. Try it I dare you.

5. The law firm that was given details of my accident by my health insurer and pestered me with phone messages and emails enquiring if there was anyone I'd like to sue.

6. The f€%÷₩ing president and his gangsters

7. People who say "time to sell your bike then".

8. Not being able to put my left sock on because I can't bend my hips

But that's about it really.

How are all the other walking, crutching and rolling wounded?

This is something else I find is an absolute sanity saver:

http://www.instructables.com/

get in your workshop, and fix and make sh!t, there is a certain warm fuzzy feeling when you get an engine to fire up for first time in years or bring a bike back to life or paddle or sail a newly restored boat etc etc etc.

The above site has craft ideas for pretty much anything you can think of, go wild it is highly rewarding...

This is something else I find is an absolute sanity saver:

http://www.instructables.com/

get in your workshop, and fix and make ****, there is a certain warm fuzzy feeling when you get an engine to fire up for first time in years or bring a bike back to life or paddle or sail a newly restored boat etc etc etc.

The above site has craft ideas for pretty much anything you can think of, go wild it is highly rewarding...

Youtube as well. I love learning new skills/knowledge even if it is useless to my field of study/career.

I recently discovered the MIT opencourseware channel on YT.

Watched the entire first year physics coursework when I was off the bike for 3days after a motorbike accident.

Other interesting sites/resources:

TED talks

Reddit

edx.org

Edited by Jurgens Smit

Zwift. Was a life-changer for me after my injury in June.

I dislocated my elbow and fractured my radius. Spent 6 weeks (5 weeks actually) in a cast and used a number of different Smart Trainer IDT set-ups - Tacx Flux and Vortex, Cycle Ops Hammer and Wahoo Kickr.

While the direct-mount trainers were the best and offered the most 'natural' feel and most accurate power readings, the Tacx Vortex was the most affordable set-up and wasn't too bad from a power reading perspective (you do occasionally get wheel slip, but I ran lower pressure and got some heat into the tyre before starting workouts) .

Did around 1800km and 70hours. Was around 10-13hours per week. Didn't lose any fitness.

Edited by Aaron_B