American Classic 420 Aero - what tires?

Eon du Plessis

So I bought these wheels a few months ago. Continental 4000s are a pain in the ass to get off, once they're on. To the point that I'm a scared of damaging the wheel. Ended up taking them to a shop that got the tires off with some big tools.

Went Schwalbe Pro One, which I ran tubeless. Worked fine for a couple of months and this weekend I managed to cut the front tire. Terminal. Queue more struggling to get the tire off.

So now the question. What good tire actually fits these wheels, that I'll be able to get off in the event of a puncture?

I'm at the point where I'm thinking of replacing the wheelset, I'll that frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I run the plain continental grand prix, not the 4000 on my 420's and fit and remove rhem with one tyre lever. They have good puncture protection and give good miles.

post-5177-0-75615400-1503255576_thumb.jpg

If its tubeless tyres they will be a tighter fit. Those rims are also made to be tubeless with tight clearances and its all in the name of keeping the tyre ON the rim even if you flat.

I would not look anywhere else than the Schwalbes Pro One Tubeless... even if it takes 3 day to fit them or remove them IMO.

If its tubeless tyres they will be a tighter fit. Those rims are also made to be tubeless with tight clearances and its all in the name of keeping the tyre ON the rim even if you flat.

I would not look anywhere else than the Schwalbes Pro One Tubeless... even if it takes 3 day to fit them or remove them IMO.

I have the older 420 units with Gatorskins not tubeless rims, but what s14p said sounds just right. Better struggle when you standing still then have those puppies pop when you on the move.

I have the older 420 units with Gatorskins not tubeless rims, but what s14p said sounds just right. Better struggle when you standing still then have those puppies pop when you on the move.

Well, I'm going back to tubes, even though it's a tubeless compatible rim. The Pro Ones are just too damn fragile and it looks like even a small cut means they're dead. Very disappointed with them, considering what they cost.

From what I gather, American Classic uses Stans dimensions for tubeless, which is not exactly the same as UST. So a UST tire is super tight on these rims.

I don't mind a tight tire. But I could at least get Gatorskins off of Mavic wheels while next to the road, nevermind having to rely on a damn bike shop to get it done, damaging the decals of the wheels in the process.

Note, there is a big difference between the 2016 model of these wheels and previous versions.

The issue with the newer rim is that the tire seats on it similarly to what you'd see with a mountain bike rim. Breaking that seal is super difficult though. I just used a pair of pliers to break the seal on the one side. The other side is still stuck, however.

Also struggled like crazy to get some Pro One's off of a set of American Classic Argent wheels.  Ended up with blisters on both thumbs and the only way I could break the seal was with a pliers.  I now have R2k's worth of tyres hanging in the garage because my son won't use them because a roadside repair is basically impossible.

Also struggled like crazy to get some Pro One's off of a set of American Classic Argent wheels. Ended up with blisters on both thumbs and the only way I could break the seal was with a pliers. I now have R2k's worth of tyres hanging in the garage because my son won't use them because a roadside repair is basically impossible.

Exactly. What tires is he using now?

Exactly. What tires is he using now?

Just using some entry level Conti's for now, will probably get a set of GP4000's soon.

I love AC wheels and am considering getting a pair of the Victory 30 wheels, but I have read that it is a bugger to get the tires off of them. Seems to be an AC road tubeless wheel flaw.

That really sucks, their wheels are almost a no brainer. Cheap(ish), light and the hubs are super reliable.

Seriously starting to change my mind on the Victory 30s.

The Schwalbe tyres come highly rated but I too have had issues.

Using a set of Hutchinson Fusion currently with satisfactory results.

That said, none are easy to get on the rim.

I love AC wheels and am considering getting a pair of the Victory 30 wheels, but I have read that it is a bugger to get the tires off of them. Seems to be an AC road tubeless wheel flaw.

That really sucks, their wheels are almost a no brainer. Cheap(ish), light and the hubs are super reliable.

Seriously starting to change my mind on the Victory 30s.

I have a set of Victory 30's and don't have any problem getting the Conti GP4000's on or off.  I have not used any other tyres on them so don't know what else will work, but very happy with the GP4000's, light and durable.

I have the AC420 Aero 3, 35mm rim depth - but the older ones with red and white. I have had Conti 4Seasons on them and currently Vredestein something or other. No issues with rim seating or anything.

Love the wheels. Run true, run free, run always

What about the Specialized Roubaix tubeless tires? In a recent review of the Venge on this very site the wheels were AC Argents set up tubeless with the Roubaix tires.

I don't see them in the spez SA site, wonder if they are available here?

Right, so managed to mount a Mavic Yksion tire without any tools whatsoever. Question is, can I get it off without tools?

Edit - right, deflated the tire and got it off with a single tire lever. Cake.

So it seems these are pretty picky about which tires you fit on them.

I have a set of Victory 30's and don't have any problem getting the Conti GP4000's on or off.  I have not used any other tyres on them so don't know what else will work, but very happy with the GP4000's, light and durable.

That's good to hear. Are yours a recent tubeless model?

Archived