2018 Trek Fuel EX

Christofison

They managed to give me a large....sick bike. The suspension is great. Handles like a dream. Just dont get why bikes are still sold with these short bars and long stems. Only problem is it only has 130mm travel...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats the feeling on the 9.8? Treks numbering system is that the higher the number the better right? I ask because the 9.8 is on a crazy special right now...Trek can only give me a medium to demo though...and I ride large. Just hope it doesn't ruin the ride.

Correct, the higher the number the better.

EX 9.7, 9.8 & 9.9 are all carbon, although only the 9.9 has carbon chainstays.

EX 5 and 8 are alloy.

You must have tested the 2017 Fuel EX 9.8 with 2x11 XT. Very nice bike.

Yeah exactly that one. Gonna want longer bars and a switch to 1X. But dammit it rides amazing.so much fun

Whats the deal with the stem? I read somewhere that you required a Trek specific stem compatible with the knock-block, but couldn't see any difference between the stem and any other. I may want to go shorter than the 60mm that comes with the bike.

Whats the deal with the stem? I read somewhere that you required a Trek specific stem compatible with the knock-block, but couldn't see any difference between the stem and any other. I may want to go shorter than the 60mm that comes with the bike.

To put a standard stem on you need to get a knock block spacer from Trek. I have heard of guys machining notches into their stems to make them compatible.

If you're willing you could grind down the little tab under the headset cap, but then risk your fork crown smashing into your down tube.

Ooooo now see thats a snag...any idea perhaps on the price of this spacer?

To put a standard stem on you need to get a knock block spacer from Trek. I have heard of guys machining notches into their stems to make them compatible.

If you're willing you could grind down the little tab under the headset cap, but then risk your fork crown smashing into your down tube.

Is this an actual problem? Fork crowns hitting downtubes?

Thanks. Will make sure to ask the guys tomorrow when I pick up the bike and do the fitting.

Edit: Just found this on the Singletracks website: 

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/trek-releases-new-fuel-ex-and-remedy-for-2017/

While the system has merits, I’d likely trade a tiny bit of stiffness in exchange for clearance. Thankfully, you’re not married to Bontrager stems, though, as Knock Block will work with any stem.

Is this an actual problem? Fork crowns hitting downtubes?

I think only when crashing?? I did some tight switchback climbs on my test ride, and didn't encounter a problem under normal riding.

Thanks. Will make sure to ask the guys tomorrow when I pick up the bike and do the fitting.

Edit: Just found this on the Singletracks website:

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/trek-releases-new-fuel-ex-and-remedy-for-2017/

While the system has merits, I’d likely trade a tiny bit of stiffness in exchange for clearance. Thankfully, you’re not married to Bontrager stems, though, as Knock Block will work with any stem.

Here's what the lock ring looks like. I haven't seen pricing for it in SA. So the lockring locks the knock block to the steerer tube and then you can run whatever stem above that. 8e9537a5f3cee2c8cef9ad672efd08a6.jpg

which of the range would be suited to doing rides like the 360one, munga, s2c wine2whales? Karooroubaix?

And without starting a fight, if I wanted to test one, which one is best to test against  the giant anthem?

which of the range would be suited to doing rides like the 360one, munga, s2c wine2whales? Karooroubaix?

And without starting a fight, if I wanted to test one, which one is best to test against the giant anthem?

The Trek Top Fuel is a 100mm XC bike, the most comparable to the Anthem.

so the top fuel is the more "race" orientated bike, being XC ?

is this suited to a comfortable long distance type of riding style for many hours in the saddle ?

eventually took it out on Monday. First time on a dual sus was strange. In a good way. I had a bit of a creeky coming from the rear sus so it's back at the shop to fix

http://i64.tinypic.com/w2uk4.jpg

so the top fuel is the more "race" orientated bike, being XC ?

is this suited to a comfortable long distance type of riding style for many hours in the saddle ?

Slowbee the Fuel EX which I rode today has 130mm travel front and rear. It is quite a comfirtable bike and riding position. I can't see why riding this bike wouldn't be suited to longer distances like you are mentioning. From my research the travel setup seems to be in the range of a Camber, or perhaps between a Camber and Stumpy. Where as a Top Fuel is shorter travel, like an Anthem or even an Epic. So then more of a racing bike. If that suits you more then try that one.

I must admit again I was very pleased with the Fuel EX today. The spec is crazy at that price and the RE:aktiv suspension is a real pleasure to ride.

I think it depends on what you want to achieve Slowbee. If it's pure racing and podiums, then probably the Top Fuel, but for more comfort and more fun on the downs, I reckon the Fuel EX. 

I'm planning on doing everything from stage races to enduros on my Fuel EX (but not aiming for podiums in either).

The bike, especially the lower spec ones are on the heavy side, but I must admit, when I test rode it, it did not feel heavy on the trails or climbs at all. It was super comfortable though and very confidence inspiring.

Go test ride them, but like Fox3 and Christofison say, the Top Fuel is probably closer to the Anthem

Archived