2018 Trek Fuel EX

Christofison

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has arrived and my word, what a capable bike. It stays so well composed in the fast bumpy stuff compared to my previous bike.

Did a fun-ride outside Worcester on Saturday.

DROPPED more than a 100m in the first 1,2km !!  This on LOOSE gravel, with some pretty sharp turns !!!!!

Two youngsters got so over eager on the start that the skidded wide on turn two off the road and into the trees .... got back on their bikes before the medics even knew what happened.  

Watch my speed at 1 minute 35 seconds into the event, high cadence but ZERO effort due to the steep downhill ....

post-110956-0-94275700-1507470401_thumb.jpg

I only realised just how stable and comfortable the EX5 was when a gent on a hardtail pulled in next to me .... MAN, he was standing and holding on for dear life !  

..... and then it was time to massage the brakes to scrub off speed for the curve ahead !!

They're lovely bikes (I have a 2014 one) and I know the 2018 ones are bit more gravity oriented but they are getting a bit heavy for my liking. I ride more on the xc side and over 14kg is a bit much...Still tempted!

Hehehe ....

some interesting comments.

I have the "baby brother" : 2017 Fuel EX5.

I looked at most of the offerings of the other brands in the same price segment.  Some very good bikes !  And yet it was the EX5 that awoke the boy in me ....

about the only negative I can come up with - press-fit BB bearings ... while many of the competition use the threaded versions, just a bit easier for the DIY type owner ....

LOVE my EX5 !!

Got the EX 5 2018 two weeks ago...absolutely love it...so much fizz 

They're lovely bikes (I have a 2014 one) and I know the 2018 ones are bit more gravity oriented but they are getting a bit heavy for my liking. I ride more on the xc side and over 14kg is a bit much...Still tempted!

I did Berg & Bush on my 2018 Fuel EX 8 and still managed a 13th position. I hardly noticed the extra 2kg's compared to my 2016 Anthem X. What I can say is that the extra suspension made for a much more comfortable ride, and when the trail pointed down I had a much bigger smile on my face.

f2b11c90f57b697e6c81359eddda0b9d.jpg

Edited by Christofison

Ex7 won not only for its groupset. But also for the geometry it sharea wth the rest of the EX range ????

What actually got my attention was the total absense of the known brands in SA .... and the vast number of contenders that we have never heard of here ....

how does it compare with the stumpjumper fsr?

I have never ridden a Stumpie so I can't really comment on ride feel. On paper though they're pretty similar. Same rear travel, head angle and bb drop, both are boost. Most will agree that the Fuel EX has the superior suspension design. Comparing the R45k alloy Stumpie to the R50k alloy Fuel EX 8, both have 29mm wheels, the Trek has Eagle over the Spez 11 speed, also the 32mm Reba in 150mm on the Spez doesn't sound like a great idea.

I've been on the Trek/Spez mission the last few months...after narrowing down to Fuel EX Eagle and STUMPJUMPER FSR COMP 6FATTIE. Also considered Canadian based bikes- brother can get one here when visiting SA.sadly the lack of Warranty and support on imports is a major negative.

post-49114-0-24790200-1508680389_thumb.png

I find it quite amazing that Trek has been knocked for its image as being a bit boring. I know it's all perception, but it's odd that the words Gary Fisher haven't come up on this thread yet. They just swallowed up that legacy, terrible marketing move in my mind

I've been on the Trek/Spez mission the last few months...after narrowing down to Fuel EX Eagle and STUMPJUMPER FSR COMP 6FATTIE. Also considered Canadian based bikes- brother can get one here when visiting SA.sadly the lack of Warranty and support on imports is a major negative.

Trek has a subsidiary in SA now...no issues with support and warranty...

I see you are in Fourways, go have a chat to Danny at The Bicycle Service Company about support of the Trek brand...

Edited by Skinnyone