2018 Trek Fuel EX

Christofison

Slowbee, I'm getting my Fuel EX5 today and you are welcome to take it for a test ride some time, just send me a PM.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends on what you want to achieve Slowbee. If it's pure racing and podiums, then probably the Top Fuel, but for more comfort and more fun on the downs, I reckon the Fuel EX.

I'm planning on doing everything from stage races to enduros on my Fuel EX (but not aiming for podiums in either).

The bike, especially the lower spec ones are on the heavy side, but I must admit, when I test rode it, it did not feel heavy on the trails or climbs at all. It was super comfortable though and very confidence inspiring.

Go test ride them, but like Fox3 and Christofison say, the Top Fuel is probably closer to the Anthem

+1

I sold my Anthem X to get the Fuel EX because I wanted a bike that would be more capable in the downhills, and that it is. Although I really haven't noticed much penalty on the ups. I would estimate that for every 1 second I'm losing on the ups, I'm gaining 5 on the downs.

I got a free entry to Berg & Bush and the bike really surprised me. The only thing I would change if I had the cash would be a slightly faster rolling rear tyre.

Interesting review here:

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/bike-situations-nine-exciting-trail-bikes-2017/

If you look at the table it is clear that the Trek is the most balanced bike. I don't really get what their issue is on value for money, but I suppose because they rode the 9.9 that might have influenced them. Also they shouldn't rate top of the line for price when not all the bikes were top of the line (then they should've tested a S-Works for example).

Anyway, very flattering for the Trek.

I think it depends on what you want to achieve Slowbee. If it's pure racing and podiums, then probably the Top Fuel, but for more comfort and more fun on the downs, I reckon the Fuel EX. 

I'm planning on doing everything from stage races to enduros on my Fuel EX (but not aiming for podiums in either).

The bike, especially the lower spec ones are on the heavy side, but I must admit, when I test rode it, it did not feel heavy on the trails or climbs at all. It was super comfortable though and very confidence inspiring.

Go test ride them, but like Fox3 and Christofison say, the Top Fuel is probably closer to the Anthem

Thanks for the offer piston

I dont do podiums, I do lantern rouge's.

I am not that into downhill type stuff. More into comfortability for long hours in the saddle.

I suppose its that thing of one bike for everything. My 26er Titus racer x does just that - but its time for an upgrade and I only have so much money so cant really afford to get it wrong.

Ideally you heed to test a bike for a few rides over varying distances and terrain. The bike shop wont let me take a bike for a few days, understandably. So now I need to sits and think !

Thanks for the offer piston

I dont do podiums, I do lantern rouge's.

I am not that into downhill type stuff. More into comfortability for long hours in the saddle.

I suppose its that thing of one bike for everything. My 26er Titus racer x does just that - but its time for an upgrade and I only have so much money so cant really afford to get it wrong.

Ideally you heed to test a bike for a few rides over varying distances and terrain. The bike shop wont let me take a bike for a few days, understandably. So now I need to sits and think !

I decided to go for the Topfuel 9.8 (got it a 2017 model at a ridiculous bargain). My reasoning was:

- I wanted something more efficient than my 140mm Stumpy for those long days in the saddle

- I want the option of a second water bottle so that I can ditch the Camelbak during stage races and shorter training rides. The second bottle fits behind my seat tube (something like the Epic configuration was very tempting, but the pricing on the Topfuel persuaded me otherwise).

- The EX is too similar to my Stumpy in ride feel and application.

- The Topfuel has the flip-chip to slacken the geometry a bit compared to all out racing bikes which appealed to me.

The Topfuel is everything I was looking for and more. It is surprisingly responsive when the trail points down and going up it does its magic. The only obstacle I have not done on a race with the Topfuel was Shapiro’s drop at Eselfontein. I have done it once on the Stumpy with the seat dropped and with knee and elbow guards on and nearly shat myself then.

I find that I need to be more “on it” with the Topfuel than on the Stumpy, but the gains are so much more as well.

I enjoy Helderberg and the more gnarly stuff in Jonkershoek more on the Stumpy, but manage quite well on the Topfuel as well (the dropper post seems to be the bigger factor opposed to pure travel).

I have put on a wider handlebar on the Topfuel (800mm, which I will take down to 780mm) and the difference is noticeable.

I have a relaxed setup (quite upright) and find the bike as comfortable as the Stumpy on those longer rides with the added advantage of better efficiency.

While our requirements differ somewhat I do think that the Topfuel is an option, depending on your own requirements. 72af42fe6bbaabe813661ee12e520961.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I decided to go for the Topfuel 9.8 (got it a 2017 model at a ridiculous bargain). My reasoning was:

- I wanted something more efficient than my 140mm Stumpy for those long days in the saddle

- I want the option of a second water bottle so that I can ditch the Camelbak during stage races and shorter training rides. The second bottle fits behind my seat tube (something like the Epic configuration was very tempting, but the pricing on the Topfuel persuaded me otherwise).

- The EX is too similar to my Stumpy in ride feel and application.

- The Topfuel has the flip-chip to slacken the geometry a bit compared to all out racing bikes which appealed to me.

The Topfuel is everything I was looking for and more. It is surprisingly responsive when the trail points down and going up it does its magic. The only obstacle I have not done on a race with the Topfuel was Shapiro’s drop at Eselfontein. I have done it once on the Stumpy with the seat dropped and with knee and elbow guards on and nearly shat myself then.

I find that I need to be more “on it” with the Topfuel than on the Stumpy, but the gains are so much more as well.

I enjoy Helderberg and the more gnarly stuff in Jonkershoek more on the Stumpy, but manage quite well on the Topfuel as well (the dropper post seems to be the bigger factor opposed to pure travel).

I have put on a wider handlebar on the Topfuel (800mm, which I will take down to 780mm) and the difference is noticeable.

I have a relaxed setup (quite upright) and find the bike as comfortable as the Stumpy on those longer rides with the added advantage of better efficiency.

While our requirements differ somewhat I do think that the Topfuel is an option, depending on your own requirements. 72af42fe6bbaabe813661ee12e520961.jpg

Very nice bike. A lot more racy than the Fuel EX, and a lot lighter as well.

Who in Cape Town retails Trek Bikes?

Best Bikes in Durbanville. They may still have some 2017 bikes left on special.

BMT Stellenbosch. I got mine from Bespoked in Knysna, but BMT is looking after her locally.

Ok I went to The gear Change and saw that Fuel EX 9.8  my word what a beaut.

Ok i need to decide on my next trail bike.  I have looked at a lot incl Tallboy/hightower, Tranny Smuggler, Stumpy, and even the IBIS Ripley.  I have decided on the following

Fuel EX 9.8 vs Camber Expert Carbon Vs  YT Jeffsy VS BMC Speedfox 

Pros v Cons

Trek EX  Pro: everything -  Con : Pricey at R70k and Guide Brakes (heard they  kuk?)

Camber:   Pro :- Swat, Carbon Rims, - Con : very Pricey at R80k, no Boost if thats a con

YT Jeffsey  Pro - Price is great at R55k -  Con: Not  much of a looker and no space for water bottle

BMC  Pro - Love that trailsync story and clean lines - Con: Worried about after market support and dropper is limited  Price on website R68k 

Ok I went to The gear Change and saw that Fuel EX 9.8  my word what a beaut.

Ok i need to decide on my next trail bike.  I have looked at a lot incl Tallboy/hightower, Tranny Smuggler, Stumpy, and even the IBIS Ripley.  I have decided on the following

Fuel EX 9.8 vs Camber Expert Carbon Vs  YT Jeffsy VS BMC Speedfox 

Pros v Cons

Trek EX  Pro: everything -  Con : Pricey at R70k and Guide Brakes (heard they  kuk?)

Camber:   Pro :- Swat, Carbon Rims, - Con : very Pricey at R80k, no Boost if thats a con

YT Jeffsey  Pro - Price is great at R55k -  Con: Not  much of a looker and no space for water bottle

BMC  Pro - Love that trailsync story and clean lines - Con: Worried about after market support and dropper is limited  Price on website R68k 

Whats the pro and cons of the Ibis?

Ok I went to The gear Change and saw that Fuel EX 9.8 my word what a beaut.

Ok i need to decide on my next trail bike. I have looked at a lot incl Tallboy/hightower, Tranny Smuggler, Stumpy, and even the IBIS Ripley. I have decided on the following

Fuel EX 9.8 vs Camber Expert Carbon Vs YT Jeffsy VS BMC Speedfox

Pros v Cons

Trek EX Pro: everything - Con : Pricey at R70k and Guide Brakes (heard they kuk?)

Camber: Pro :- Swat, Carbon Rims, - Con : very Pricey at R80k, no Boost if thats a con

YT Jeffsey Pro - Price is great at R55k - Con: Not much of a looker and no space for water bottle

BMC Pro - Love that trailsync story and clean lines - Con: Worried about after market support and dropper is limited Price on website R68k

Nothing kaaak about guides

Guides are not bad at all indeed,

Hows this for a Pro?

http://bansheebikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/PhantomAngleRaw.jpg?x45452